Take Microbiology totally online at Mid State Technical CollegeRegister Today!
- by oppenheimer Nov 24, '09wisconsin nursing students:
i just found out that mid state technical college in wisconsin now offers a microbiology course totally online (4 credits) including the laboratory. they use a labpaq for the online lab so you actually get a microscope and lab kit to use at home so its a "hands on" lab not a virtual lab. my school wants me to have a hands on lab and not a virtual one for transfer prerequisite courses.
the course is designated microbiology 10-806-197 and the section is listed as 24063. the course is used for their associate degree nursing (rn) program.
here is their website:
it begins jan 14, 2010.
- Dec 14, '09 by Southern MagnoliaEastern Oregon University also has a totally online Micro. They are pretty cheap too. $136/ per credit hour for online courses and no out of state fees. I'll be taking it in March (when the next class begins).
- Jan 16, '10 by oppenheimerNomadMomma,
How does Eastern Oregon University handle the lab fees? Do you have to buy a microscope and a LabPaq?
At Mid State Technical College (MSTC) in Wisconsin Rapids we were directed to buy the LabPaq and Scope from Hands-On Labs in Colorado for their Online Microbiology Course. It ran me a little over $400. It's still a great deal when you consider you don't have to drive to and from a campus 3 days a week.
- Jan 16, '10 by Southern MagnoliaFrom what I can tell you DO NOT have to buy a microscope. You buy agar plates for $25 or so and then photo what "grows" from the various experiments. I'll attach a link to the class syllabus. I'm planning on taking it in March when the next class begins. I don't remember the exact amount for the class but it was substantially less than my local community college (around $500 total). I already bought the book used on-line for $4. The lab manual is downloaded from the course site for free.
Hope that helps.
- Feb 15, '10 by ybstressedfrom what i can tell you do not have to buy a microscope. you buy agar plates for $25 or so and then photo what "grows" from the various experiments. i'll attach a link to the class syllabus. i'm planning on taking it in march when the next class begins. i don't remember the exact amount for the class but it was substantially less than my local community college (around $500 total). i already bought the book used on-line for $4. the lab manual is downloaded from the course site for free.
hope that helps.
nomadmomma ........so far how is the online micro at eou. i went to ratemyprofessor.com and the teacher for the class starting in march has a bad bad bad rating.Last edit by ybstressed on Feb 15, '10 : Reason: :)
- Feb 21, '10 by Southern MagnoliaI'm planning to take it in March unless I can find one local for summer. Thanks for the info on the prof.
- May 19, '10 by ybstressedNomadmomma......so how is the micro class?