University of Washington SoN Fall 2013 - page 13
by OBrienMP 72,504 Views | 470 Comments
Anyone applying to the UW SoN for fall 2013? Anyone else FREAKING OUT about it like I am?... Read More
- 0Feb 9, '13 by altron2000Seems like most everybody that got called in to do the proctor had some sort of exposure to a hospital and also had separate unpaid volunteer work. I have a 3.7 in the Natural Sciences and minimum volunteer work (Virtually none) with 1200 hours as a cna but 800 of that was 5 years ago and I just failed Spanish and I retook micro 2.2 to 3.2 and I got a DUI in 2009 so maybe all that was the reason I didn't get invited to the proctor.
I'm taking ochem now which I'll get a 3.8 in, and plan on volunteering at a hospital and working at one as well. So I'm hoping that will increase my chances for next year. Any other suggestions or am I screwed?
- 1Feb 9, '13 by SaraFutureNurse?Hello All:
I've seen a few posts where people who weren't invited to the proctored essay section are wondering what it is that they "did wrong" or questioning why they weren't selected.
I just wanted to say that everyone on this board applied with the same goal - to become a nurse. That goal hasn't changed for anyone. Getting into nursing school is incredibly competitive, and I just wanted to share the thought that if you didn't get asked to continue with the UW, there are probably opportunities out there that may be a great fit for you. Please don't dwell on the thoughts of why you didn't get invited; instead concentrate on moving forward, looking towards other programs, and know that your call to nursing is still real and important!
Best of luck to all of you.
- 0Feb 10, '13 by Ladybug031302My sciences GPA is 3.7. Overall 3.86. I had just over the minimum of hours at 150 as I just started my first CNA position at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance in November -phew! I also have over 500 mental health volunteer hours as the facilitator for a pregnancy loss group (I lost my first child full term). I am very excited to be invited to the proctored essay but I know it's so competitive that I likely won't make it in. Applied to SU and SPU as well. Just hoping I get in somewhere!
- 1Feb 10, '13 by suzwI got the invitation! Now I'm REALLY nervous. It took me soooo long to write the application essays, I can't imagine doing a good job in an hour. Hopefully the prompts they give us will be something I have an opinion on (and can articulate that opinion well, which I don't think is my strong point, but I guess we'll see...) Also, I'm not too worried about spelling and grammar, but am a bit worried about legible handwriting!
- 0Feb 10, '13 by suzwObrienMP, I'm really sorry you didn't get in, I thought you would, and was hoping you would. I don't remember your background for sure, but I think it is similar to mine? I have a 3 year-old as well, about 3.6 GPA, just over 100 hours of volunteer work (in a SNF), no hospital experience, but a lot of experience as a medical asst. Just a thought, and I may be way off base, but did you mention having a 3 year-old in your application essays? I considered it, as I think my grades are not that impressive without a distraction called a 3 year-old, but ultimately I did not mention her, simply because I couldn't figure out a way to work it into the essay and still cover all the other questions they asked.