Student Applying to NVCC For Nursing Program Starting in Fall 2013 - page 13
by Tricia328 | 29,260 Views | 152 Comments
Hi Everyone! I really wanted to begin a thread about NVCC's Nursing Program due to begin in Fall 2013 (Applications are due May 2013). I am starting my pre-reqs in January, because I have been in school elsewhere. I know it... Read More
- 0Jul 4, '13 by summer03I remember 3 years ago doing all the stuff you are doing the summer before classes start. I know it is a hassle, but step-by-step you will get it done. Pay close attention to the math test; it is not hard, but there is no forgiveness. You do not want to have to take the remedial classwork. The NOVA program is not flexible, but you will learn so much. If you were good enough to get in, you are good enough to do very well!
- 0Jul 12, '13 by NOVA EMTTo all accepted NVCC traditional nursing program students,
I tried to access the traditional nursing program information on Blackboard in accordance with [moderator edit of name]'s mass email to all of the accepted nursing program students, but neither the Student Connect nor the College Connect tabs were there. So I called the NVCC IT department for assistance, and the referred to me to the NVCC Student Services department. The NVCC Student Services department informed me that today they received a list of 137 accepted student names from the traditional nursing program and that those accepted student names will not entered into the NVCC computer system as enrolled nursing students until 5:00 PM on Friday, 19 July 2013. Once the accepted student names are entered their profiles will be updated to provide them with access to the traditional nursing program information via Blackboard. This means that we will not be able to make any informed decisions about what classes to register for, or to complete the remainder of the pending administrative requirements, until Monday, 22 July 2013, which is the date of the mandatory nursing program orientation session. All nursing students must register and pay for all of the first semester courses not later than Monday, 29 July 2013, which means that we will then have only one week to complete all remaining administrative requirements and to register and pay for the first semester courses!Last edit by Pixie.RN on Oct 19, '13
- 0Aug 6, '13 by summer03NOVA EMT,
I am so sorry for being this slow to reply. I missed your message and you probably already know thw answer by now, but yes, those days sound about right. However, that was 3 years ago I was starting the program. The think to really pay attention to is WHERE they send you the first semester. I ended up being assigned to Loudon, whixh is the very farthers possible for me. In the following semester you get to pick, if you are quick. For the first semester, you might ask if you can have a choice, but they may not offer it.
- 0Aug 6, '13 by summer03Amiga, I missed your post and am now just replying. I am guessing you have since graduated (with honors) and passed NCLEX. I found that the best way to get a job is to go in person and talk to the recruiter and case manager and even unit staff. Obviously, you need to apply online, but I have found that the personal touch makes a big difference. I was not choosy in what I took for my first job and ended up as a float pool nurse. I just got a permanent placement in the unit I had been hoping for months. I did have to accept nights in both cases, and even weekend nights early on. Once I have been in my unit longer, I hope to get a work schedule more to my choosing. Also, it helps to reach out to people who know you and can speak for you. With each try to get myself a better position, I would guess that I put my name in maybe 5 or so times for evey one that has panned out. Good luck, and I am betting it works out for you.
- 0Aug 19, '13 by jtuparanHey all,
I'm applying for the Hybrid track that starts in the spring. One of the sequences of prerequisites is A&P I and II, and microbio. I took microbio at Virginia Tech, does that count? I already took A&P I at NOVA, and will begin taking A&P II soon.
Also, I'm gonna take the TEAS next week. What's it like? "How should I study?