NVCC pre-reqs-which classes are you taking?
- 0May 28, '11 by SuzyQ2011In others words, are you going the NAS 161/162 route (health science) or the Anatomy/Physiology plus microbiology route?
I really want to do the Anatomy/Physiology plus microbiology route so that I can keep the option of applying for an accelerate BSN program (or ADN then BSN) open. However, the microbiology course requires 1 year of chemistry I am not sure why they have this requirement. I know that chem is not a pre-req for microbiology in some other colleges. I can't fathom taking a whole year of chemistry before doing microbiology. I know it says you can take it with division approval. Anyone know what that entails? So which courses are you doing? I am new to this. I have only taken a bio course thus far. Thanks
- 0Honestly, if I were you I would do the BIO 141/142 + Micro route because I took NAS 161/162 before I decided I wanted to eventually get my BSN so now I'm playing catch up and squeezing BIO 141/142 into my schedule this summer so those credits can transfer over later.
It may seem like a bit more work, but it'll be worth it. I wish I had someone tell me to do this before because I feel like I wasted $800+ on NAS 161/162 just to find out no one else accepts those credits. Plus, NVCC counselors are almost no help at all.
- 0Yeah, I definitely know what you mean. I didn't know you had to take 2 semesters of chem before micro.. that is kind of annoying. But on the other side of the coin, I'm sure general college chem can/will transfer anywhere (unlike the NAS 161/162). So you could use it as a general elective or something like that.
- 0May 28, '11 by chairliliI just finished Bio 141 & 142 at NOVA and my Prof said you can take Chem 111 and then request to go straight to MicroBio. Talk to someone at the school about it. I seriously wouldn't just take NAS 161 & 162. Not only do they not transfer, they cram a lot of info into two semesters and you won't get the information you need. I took a really hard professor (by choice) and I learned sooooo much. It is really worth it in my opinion.
- 0Jun 4, '11 by SuzyQ2011Hey Chairlili
Are you taking Chem then Micro? I am taking BIO 141 this summer. i think it's the best decision.
Katie-did you take the Chem for micro or seek division approval? Chemistry just intimidates the heck out of me. I looked at the course description (CHEM 111) and it's intended for science and engineer majors!
- 0Jun 4, '11 by johnson_katieQuote from SuzyQ2011NVCC is willing to squeeze every dime out of you that they can.. I looked at the course description (CHEM 111) and it's intended for science and engineer majors!
I haven't done either yet (seek division approval or take any chem classes) I'm taking BIO 142 the second 6 weeks this summer. I've already taken NAS 161/162. The only reason I'm taking BIO 141/142 and the Micro is because NAS 161/162 doesn't transfer ANYWHERE (trust me, I've looked)! I'm hoping the division can just let me skip CHM 111/112 since I've already been introduced to some micro when I took NAS 161/162.
- 0Jun 5, '11 by NursingGCWOne thing you should note....NAS 161 & NAS 162 do transfer to Mason.......if and ONLY if you have your RN license......
I plan to attend Mason so I'm happy they do accept this!
- 0Jun 7, '11 by SuzyQ2011I don't have an RN license so if I applied for GMU I need the BIO141 & 142 plus micro combo.
Maybe I will try to get division approval to see if I can skip the chem (or at least the second one). I also saw that they now have an intro to micro class but I think it still needs to be the 205 one to meet the requirement.