NVCC pre-reqs-which classes are you taking?Register Today!
- by SuzyQ2011 May 28, '11In others words, are you going the NAS 161/162 route (health science) or the Anatomy/Physiology plus microbiology route?
I really want to do the Anatomy/Physiology plus microbiology route so that I can keep the option of applying for an accelerate BSN program (or ADN then BSN) open. However, the microbiology course requires 1 year of chemistry I am not sure why they have this requirement. I know that chem is not a pre-req for microbiology in some other colleges. I can't fathom taking a whole year of chemistry before doing microbiology. I know it says you can take it with division approval. Anyone know what that entails? So which courses are you doing? I am new to this. I have only taken a bio course thus far. Thanks
- Honestly, if I were you I would do the BIO 141/142 + Micro route because I took NAS 161/162 before I decided I wanted to eventually get my BSN so now I'm playing catch up and squeezing BIO 141/142 into my schedule this summer so those credits can transfer over later.
It may seem like a bit more work, but it'll be worth it. I wish I had someone tell me to do this before because I feel like I wasted $800+ on NAS 161/162 just to find out no one else accepts those credits. Plus, NVCC counselors are almost no help at all.
- May 28, '11 by SuzyQ2011That's what I am leaning towards. It's the year of chemistry that has me hesitant to do it. A year is a long time and chemistry is not one of my strengths...
- Yeah, I definitely know what you mean. I didn't know you had to take 2 semesters of chem before micro.. that is kind of annoying. But on the other side of the coin, I'm sure general college chem can/will transfer anywhere (unlike the NAS 161/162). So you could use it as a general elective or something like that.
- OR.. I also so that you could get divisional approval, so maybe you could just try to talk to the head of the division and they can let you skip the chem and go straight for the micro
- May 28, '11 by chairliliI just finished Bio 141 & 142 at NOVA and my Prof said you can take Chem 111 and then request to go straight to MicroBio. Talk to someone at the school about it. I seriously wouldn't just take NAS 161 & 162. Not only do they not transfer, they cram a lot of info into two semesters and you won't get the information you need. I took a really hard professor (by choice) and I learned sooooo much. It is really worth it in my opinion.
- Jun 4, '11 by SuzyQ2011Hey Chairlili
Are you taking Chem then Micro? I am taking BIO 141 this summer. i think it's the best decision.
Katie-did you take the Chem for micro or seek division approval? Chemistry just intimidates the heck out of me. I looked at the course description (CHEM 111) and it's intended for science and engineer majors!
- Jun 4, '11 by johnson_katieQuote from SuzyQ2011NVCC is willing to squeeze every dime out of you that they can.. I looked at the course description (CHEM 111) and it's intended for science and engineer majors!
I haven't done either yet (seek division approval or take any chem classes) I'm taking BIO 142 the second 6 weeks this summer. I've already taken NAS 161/162. The only reason I'm taking BIO 141/142 and the Micro is because NAS 161/162 doesn't transfer ANYWHERE (trust me, I've looked)! I'm hoping the division can just let me skip CHM 111/112 since I've already been introduced to some micro when I took NAS 161/162.
- Jun 5, '11 by NursingGCWOne thing you should note....NAS 161 & NAS 162 do transfer to Mason.......if and ONLY if you have your RN license......
I plan to attend Mason so I'm happy they do accept this!
- Jun 7, '11 by SuzyQ2011I don't have an RN license so if I applied for GMU I need the BIO141 & 142 plus micro combo.
Maybe I will try to get division approval to see if I can skip the chem (or at least the second one). I also saw that they now have an intro to micro class but I think it still needs to be the 205 one to meet the requirement.