NVCC Class of 2013 Meet and Greet + Q&A - Page 2Register Today!
- Cathyn85 did you go on your blackboard yet it shows everything we have to do including the uniforms!
- Jun 27, '11 by MimiKName: Mimi, "Meems", or "LT", but please don't call me Captain (used to a very military bunch of folks in Hampton Roads)
Years at NVCC: decades as student, have AS in EMS (also have BS from George Washington Medical in Emergency Management with a minor in EMS Education); also few years as Adjunct Faculty in EMS (@ GW, too), so I know CPR!
Joined the FBook Group: Yes
Career Goal: Masters/Doctorate
Planning to Transfer: Yes (Mason)
Classes Completed: NUR 108/130 at Tidewater Community College (TCC)--we are being transferred back to DC; most electives, not sure yet if classes taken in the 1980s will count for HLT 141 & 250
About me: I am a disability retired firefighter/medic Acting Captain from Arlington County after 23 years in EMS (bilateral total hip replacements); EMS Training Officer; ran treatment sector at Pentagon on 9/11; tried fitness field for a few years and it didn't workout--I missed medical; glad to be back caring for folks and administering meds again; 3 kids (high school, university--physics, grad school--mechanical engineering); elected liaison for my TCC Nursing class last semester; I usually win my test question challenges with the professors; however, stuggling as an old dog to learn new tricks--doing things the Nursing way IS NOT the same as doing things the EMS way; the age range @ TCC is from 18 to 56, and I'm used to being in class with folks as old as my kids; study groups can confuse me, so don't think I'm stuck-up if I don't participate, I'm probably just stuck; I am very big on teamwork and am always thinking about my classmates--go Lucky 13!
- Name: Maria
Years at NVCC: 1
Joined the FBook Group: Yes
Track: Traditional, but still waiting for the results of Momentum application.
Career Goal: BSRN
Planning to Transfer: Yes, Mason or VCU.
Classes Completed: all the pre-reqs, plus some.
I am currently a stay at home mom to an adorable 3 year old. I wanted to be in the medical field when I was younger but "life" got in the way, hopefully this is my 2nd chance to go for it. Getting into this program was tough and I still think my getting in is pure luck! Congratulations to everyone and I hope we'll all have a wonderful year ahead of us.
- has anyone asked if we can buy the package of textbooks and HESI bundle before the orientation? I don't want to be pressured into buying an expensive set, especially when a cheaper source might be available, just because we have barely a week to look for them elsewhere...
- Name: Nathalia
Years at NVCC: 2
Joined the FBook Group: not yet
Career Goal: RN for now
Planning to Transfer: Yes. where? Mason
Classes Completed: all the pre-req plus some transfer courses from my previous university
About me: I'm 23 y/o (but trust me I look very young. It's just very funny sometimes that people think that I'm 12 )I'm a wife, but not planning to have kids any time soon.
I love gardening,cooking,baking. I'm very quiet, but if you know me,you'll be surprised.
I went to a university in DC before I transfered to NOVA, but the university closed down before I get my degree.
- I tried to join the NVCC Nursing class 2013, but I couldn't find it.
can somebody give me a link to the page?
-Is there any one here signing up for the CPR class at the MEC on July 19th?
-the NUR 111 book is it really around $500?
Can we buy the book online?
I look forward to see you all at the orientation
- Hi Genesis,
thanks for your prompt response
I really appreciated it.
I hit the like button--I can see everyone's post,but can't write anything on the wall yet?
Facebook is very weird lately.
- hi nathalia,
i'm trying to sign up for the 16th. however, i had issues with registering online. i've emailed them and i will get in touch with them tomorrow.
- It's too late now.
I didn't know that at first.
were you guys using the same book?
BLS for health care provider?
- awww man and its ok. Yes we used the same book as long as its American Heart Association its acceptable.
- I've looked into the INOVA classes after reading through the FB pages. But despite being a bit more expensive, the MEC set-up is best for me. BTW, thank you for putting up the FB page ... very helpful indeed!