Anyone traveling in Las Vegas now?Register Today!
This is a discussion on Anyone traveling in Las Vegas now? in Travel Nursing, part of Nursing Specialties ... I just arrived in Las Vegas on my first travel assignment and am working at Summerlin. I am not too...by luvbnrn Nov 27, '12I just arrived in Las Vegas on my first travel assignment and am working at Summerlin. I am not too thrilled with where my hotel/condo is (near the Strip) in relation to the hospital.
Any suggestions on places to stay closer that will not break the bank or get me mugged?
Also, does anyone know if the bus system is safe and efficient I am still debating keeping my rental car.
Any help you can provide, would be great!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=799588©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,248 Views
- Nov 29, '12 by sweetgurly25I wouldn't use the bus system, its not safe. Summerlin is a good hospital so I have heard, I stayed at the homestead suites on Maryland pkwy. my agency put some nurses in the Borgata apts they loved it there. good luck
- Dec 11, '12 by KaraThraceHello,
I am not a traveler (but interested, hence browsing this forum).
But I did just finish working one year in Las Vegas, at SHMC. Small world.
I was able to find a one bedroom apartment very near the hospital for $650/mo, which was a great deal (and I got it through a friend who was moving out, so a lucky/rare deal). But, if you look hard enough, there are very affordable rentals all around the hospital.
If you want to stay at a hotel, there is an off-strip casino/hotel, right on the corner of Canyon Run and Rampart. I forget the name!! Might even be "Rampart", but pretty sure it was one of the "Station" casinos. I actually had to stay there for one night during the summer because my AC went out on a 117 degree day--and the room was very nice and clean, but that is all I can say about it.
Lots of apartment/condo complexes/communities. Too many actually, which is good for you because it has driven the prices down.
As far as safety--Vegas is odd...it has safe and unsafe "pockets" all around, so one cannot definitively say "you are fine anywhere within Summerlin" because it's simply not true anymore. You will get a feel for it though,it is an easy city to navigate-- and some of your co-workers might be your best resources.
To be very honest, I absolutely hated living in Vegas, and I especially hated nursing and the state of healthcare in general in Vegas, and I worked at Summerlin. But I did make some great friends there who were lifesaving to me. It is not a problem unique to SHMC, but Vegas in general (I cannot speak to other Nevada cities)--and given that, Summerlin is one of the "nicer" hopsitals to work at.
I don't want to put you off or make you nervous, this was my own unique and subjective experience, and I am not a "party-at-the-strip" kind of person. I ended up there through unique circumstances, hated it immediately, but braved out a year to show some loyalty to my peers and hiring manager. But there are some people who absolutely love Vegas life and are willing to work in there circumstances (some I believe because they maybe grew up there and never experienced anything different/less horrifying).
I admittedly have been spoiled at some amazing academic Level I shocktrauma centers.
I might be able to answer some of your more specific questions if that is helpful.
I remember being new to the area and being nervous--and I HAD a friend there!
I only check in here at allnurses sporadically, so I would probably miss responses here (I am terrible about consistently checking in at my social media sites). feel free to email me anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions, and I will try to get you some answers (or at least steer you in the right direction).
I DO know some nice places to relax, hike, rock climb, get your spa-relaxation day on (Red Rocks Casino!!!) and such, so maybe that could help too.
Last edit by KaraThrace on Dec 11, '12
- Dec 12, '12 by sweetgurly25working in vegas was horrible but I made life long friends
- Feb 25 by TX911Well great. I'm headed to Summerlin Monday on a travel assignment. I only signed for 4 weeks though. We'll see i guess
- Mar 4 by KaraThraceJust wondering if you have settled in anywhere, started on your unit (was it cath lab??).
Just generally how you are faring.
Please let me know if there is anything I could help with and good luck.
- Mar 7 by RNFionaQuote from sweetgurly25working in vegas was horrible but I made life long friends
Why was it horrible? What is your specialty?
- Mar 7 by tkaley4I am a have been in vegas at summerlin for 2 weeks now, and been on my assignment since min jan. I have been to north vista and desert springs, summerlin is the nicest one out of those three but you average 7 pts on med/surg tele which kind of sucks. I am staying in henderson which has been good to me but its about a 30 min drive to work.
- Mar 7 by RNFionaQuote from tkaley4I am a have been in vegas at summerlin for 2 weeks now, and been on my assignment since min jan. I have been to north vista and desert springs, summerlin is the nicest one out of those three but you average 7 pts on med/surg tele which kind of sucks. I am staying in henderson which has been good to me but its about a 30 min drive to work.
Coming from NYC, I am used to those ratios...I work ER and it is not unusual to have 10 patients, with 3 or 4 ICU. Not saying it's right...but it is what it is
- Mar 8 by BluntForceTraumaWhat part of New York so I will never go there??