Endorsement to Texas from California

  1. Hello everyone,

    I'm new to allnurses.com and just got my CA license on Monday... Wooohoo! I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and I know that there is a slim chance to none of getting into a New Grad program over here. I am determined to relocate in Texas. I have been applying to programs, residencies and RN 1 jobs in Texas (surrounding Houston, Austin and San Antonio areas).

    Will it give me more of an advantage to go ahead and get my endorsement to TX now or should I wait until I get hired? If anybody has any experience with this or have any advise please let me know! Thanks
  2. Visit rnliz21 profile page

    About rnliz21

    Joined: Jan '13; Posts: 8


  3. by   TheCommuter
    Hello, and welcome to Allnurses.com!

    I relocated from CA to TX back in 2005. In my opinion, it is best to apply for your Texas RN license by endorsement now. Good luck to you!
  4. by   rnliz21
    Thanks! I'll definitely do that. And since Texas is a part of the "Compact States List" can I use a TX license in other "Compact States?"
  5. by   TheCommuter
    Quote from rnliz21
    Thanks! I'll definitely do that. And since Texas is a part of the "Compact States List" can I use a TX license in other "Compact States?"
    People frequently misunderstand the concept of a compact nursing license.

    Let's assume you obtain your initial license in Texas, which is a compact state. Many people think they can legally work in all of the compact states if they are licensed in just one compact state. However, a nursing license from a compact state is similar to a driver's license in that you can legally work in another state for a maximum of 30 days. Thereafter, you must obtain a license in the state where you intend to work.

    Let's assume that you have a Texas compact license, but plan to move to Arizona, which is another compact state. You can legally work in Arizona under your Texas license for 30 days. After the 30 days has elapsed, you will definitely need an Arizona nursing license in order to continue working legally in Arizona.

    A nursing license is similar to a driver's license. Once you have moved to Arizona, you can legally drive in Arizona under your Texas driver's license for 30 days, then you will need to obtain an Arizona driver's license in order to keep driving legally in your new home state. It is the exact same concept with a nursing license that is from a compact state.
  6. by   rnliz21
    I'm finally getting my endorsement for my Tx license... I have a few questions though, if anyone could answer them it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

    1. Do I just complete my fingerprinting without any word from the Texas BON? If so, do I just send the BON my proof of fingerprints?
    2. Will I receive any notification that Texas BON has received my Endorsement packet and/or Verification form from CA?
    3. Should I be expecting my temporary license in the mail?
  7. by   wildflower79
    I just got my TX endorsement too here the link to that TX BON http://www.bon.texas.gov/olv/endorsement.htm and go under number #4, if you are residing outside TX you have to request and fill out online that FBI printing card. Then pass that Juresprudence test. You will get a mail for your temporary license but that temp license is only good for 120 days, fill out the Endorsement application online its $200 fee, for the finger printing once you recieve the FBI printing card just go to any polce station it just cost me $25. Then download the form in TX BON website under Verification form fill it out and send it to CA BRN it cost $60 and takes 6-8 wks process. My advice to you when you all mail all these forms request at the post office signature confirmation or any tracking info so you know that you stuffs are all recieved by TX BON...good luck! mine took 1 1/2 month. But then I always check the TX BON website under check endorsement application (it will show there the dates they got your stuff) then if you know its all complete check the verification license link to see if you got your permanent TX rn license...good luck again!
  8. by   rnliz21
    I just received my FBI printing card in the mail and already set up an appt to get it done. And, everything is pretty much sent and completed except for the test and receiving my temp license.... Now the waiting game again.

    Thank you so much for replying! I greatly appreciate it
  9. by   jb_go
    Hi. I'm planning to apply md anderson new grad and I'm from out of state. Do you suggest that I apply for the temporary Texas RN license before I even apply? Just don't know if they'll look at my application I'm license out of state. But then again I have to pay $200 and what if I don' end up getting the job. Thanks for your advice
  10. by   wildflower79
    I suggest you should get the temp TX license. The least likely you dont want to happen is you have no temp license while other applicants do. It is expensive but you will gain it back once you get a job.
  11. by   jb_go
    Do you know how long for them to process the temp license? I know it's additional $50. Thanks
  12. by   jb_go
    Do you know how long it takes to get the temporary licenses? Thanks
  13. by   themoderngiant
    Thanks for everyone's information. I am thinking about going to Texas from California after I graduate in November.
  14. by   new01
    Hi! I am licensed in CA and I'm planning to endorse to Texas. I just wanted to ask if I'm understanding it right... Upon completion of the online application and paying the fee, do I get a temporary license good for 120 days within 10 business days of receipt? Do they need the verification of license from CA, the fingerprint card, and pass the jurisprudence exam to process the temporary license or do they only need them to finish processing your permanent license? Thank you.