Memorial HealthCare System Scholarship

Nurses Career Support

Published

Specializes in NICU, PICU, CCRN.

I am writing this post because I am a currently a BSN nursing student and I recently found out that I have been awarded a scholarship from Memorial Health Care System. I have a general understanding of some of the aspects of the scholarship and contract, but I was wondering if there are any current scholarship recipients who have been able to find a job after graduating school and taking the NCLEX. How was it being paid your scholarship money (any hassles or delays)? How was signing your contract? What was the process of finding a job like? Is there a new graduate nurse residency or training program? Were you necessarily placed into an area that you wanted to work? Any other information or input you may have will help! Thank you!

Memorial Health Care System in Hollywood (Fort Lauderdale), Florida^

Hi, I'm a scholarship recipient as well and just graduated with my BSN last May. After graduation, you'll get a call asking what are your top 3 choices in fields and hospital locations. Then, MHS has a meet & Greet with the graduate nurses and nursing managers from different departments. This allows us to get to know each epartment and give them our resumes, if interested. So far, I got a call for an interview at JD, which is my top choice. I think being a scholarship recipient is great because you pretty much have a guarantee job, and MHS has such great reputation!!

Hi, I'm a scholarship recipient as well and just graduated with my BSN last May. After graduation, you'll get a call asking what are your top 3 choices in fields and hospital locations. Then, MHS has a meet & Greet with the graduate nurses and nursing managers from different departments. This allows us to get to know each epartment and give them our resumes, if interested. So far, I got a call for an interview at JD, which is my top choice. I think being a scholarship recipient is great because you pretty much have a guarantee job, and MHS has such great reputation!!

Hello @FL.nurse18 thank you for responding! Congratulations on graduating with your BSN! Where did you graduate from? And that is good to know about the Meet & Great with the managers from different departments. I wish you good luck with getting a job at JD! I would also love to work there as well, I am very interested in working in Peds but I am open to anything after school.

Greetings,

I see you are a MRH Scholarship recipient and I too was awarded this scholarship opportunity. My question for you is, how long did it take for you to receive the reimbursement from the scholarship funds? After my classes were paid for the difference was supposed to be reimbursed to me, but I am still awaiting the funds. I am currently a student at Broward College and I am not getting any straight forward answers...wasn't sure if you could give me a bit of insight on the matter. TIA

hello!! I just accepted the scholarship for memorial but I am a little bit worried about signing a 2 year contract not knowing where I’m going to be placed!! anything you wish you knew before you signed the contract? pros and cons? did you start through the residency program or just as a general new hire?? how much do they take into consideration your preferences, it worries me when they say there’s no guarantee where you will be!! I am currently doing my preceptorship in the ER at memorial regional and would really love to get a job there but I want to know if they randomly place you or take your wants into consideration. thank you in advance for all the help!!

1 Votes
3 minutes ago, jarvizu said:

hello!! I just accepted the scholarship for memorial but I am a little bit worried about signing a 2 year contract not knowing where I’m going to be placed!! anything you wish you knew before you signed the contract? pros and cons? did you start through the residency program or just as a general new hire?? how much do they take into consideration your preferences, it worries me when they say there’s no guarantee where you will be!! I am currently doing my preceptorship in the ER at memorial regional and would really love to get a job there but I want to know if they randomly place you or take your wants into consideration. thank you in advance for all the help!!

Hello! I was a Memorial Scholar as well and I did not know where I would be placed before the scholarship, but I made it known that I wanted to work in pediatrics and for sure wanted to work in the NICU. I told them this during my scholarship interview, and then the residency interview. It all worked out because I ended up getting a position in the NICU at Joe D, and finished my two year contract there. As far as signing the contract, yes there is a two year commitment, but as a new graduate nurse it is beneficial for you to complete those two years and stay on one unit, because most places will not hire a new nurse now into a speciality without some type of commitment. Plus if you want to go on into graduate school, switch to a different speciality, or even start travel nursing, a majority of these avenues require previous experience as a nurse, even up to two years of experience as a nurse. Sometimes I wish that I was able to get a position in a residency program that was closer to home, as Memorial was far as I live in the northern part of the county. I have talked to other nurses who have been able to get a position as a new graduate nurse without a contract, in a speciality they did not necessarily want, and I have even had friends who broke their contracts earlier but be cautious of this because some hospital will say that you have to pay the hospital back the cost. Memorial does this and if you leave before the two years you will have to pay back the residency and scholarship money. I really do however believe if you are a scholar and want to work in area express this early on, try to speak to the manager on your unit, and go above and beyond during your patient care, try to get noticed. Also Memorial scholars get priority when getting placement during the residency program! Best of luck! 

@TinyNurse18 thank you so much for all of that information! that helped ease my worries so much!! I am currently doing my preceptorship clinical rotation in the ER at memorial regional so I have tried to make it known to everyone there that I want to work there LOL. I talked to the clinical manager yesterday and told her that I really wanted to work there and I got the scholarship and I am going to email her a letter of intent stating how much I enjoyed my experience and how much I want to be placed in the ER so I’m really hoping that all of this diligence won’t go unnoticed and I’ll be placed there!! 

Hi did you end up getting ER?

@BombMom17 I did!

+ Add a Comment