Work From Home: Nurse Case Manager

Becoming a case manager is quite a bit different than bedside clinical nursing. With these differences, comes new opportunities. If you are curious about case management, this article is for you! Specialties Case Management Article

Updated:  

Many nurses have the dream of working from home. But, how?

There are several different types of work at home nurse positions. One of the most common work from home nursing positions is a nurse case manager. Case managers work for insurance companies, hospitals, home care, hospice and managed care organizations to name a few.

Some nurse case manager positions are a combination of work from home and onsite duties. While others are 100% work from home, telephonic positions. Each individual type of case manager will have specific job duties based on the industry and type of patient or client.

There are specific tasks or duties that all case management positions will complete:

Caseload Management

Case managers have a caseload of clients to manage. Average caseload size varies depending on the industry and acuity of patients.

Managing a caseload of clients includes managing the flux of admissions, discharges and changes in care that requires revisions to the case management plan. You will likely have an average daily production or number of visits or calls you will need make each day. At first, managing a large number of cases over months or even years may seem overwhelming. Over time, you will become more comfortable with the art of caseload management.

Conduct Assessments

All nurses who provide care or services to patients conduct assessments. Working in a telephonic environment is certainly no different. Conducting assessments over the phone can be challenging. You have only one sense to rely upon, your hearing. You must become very attuned not only to what the patient or client says, but how they say it.

Just as nurses in hands-on care positions, you will collect a health history, medication assessment and create a list of current problems. With each assessment, the case manager uses critical thinking and clinical skills to ensure the patient receives the education needed to make sound health decisions.

Care Coordination

All case managers assist their patients with coordination of care or services. You will be assessing the patient's primary care needs, education needs and the need for other support services. You will become familiar with providers within the client's service area. If you would for an insurer, you will likely need to have working knowledge of their policies and products so that you can easily coordinate covered and noncovered services.

Patient Advocate

Nurses advocate for their patients.The role of the case manager can oftentimes come with a few tricks in the department of advocacy. For example, if you feel that a patient needs to have an MRI of their shoulder, but the insurance company does not cover this test, how should you proceed when you work for the insurance company? Do you advocate for the patient and attempt to get the test approved? Do you advocate for your employer and simply accept that the test is not covered?

This can be a tough situation for case managers to navigate. A general rule of thumb is to always advocate on the behalf of the patient. Even if services are not readily available, there will be a way to get the patient the care they need. You may have to reevaluate the situation and brainstorm for another answer.

Create and Update a Case Management Plan

The Case Management Plan is a tool. This tool helps you to collaborate with the patient to create goals they want and need to accomplish. The means by which the goals are achieved are interventions. The interventions will likely be items that both you, as the case manager and the patient will need to complete in order to meet the goals.

As the patient achieves goals, you will create new goals. Most case management plans will have specific types of goals required base on the industry or specialty of the patients' needs. For example, if you work with injured workers, you will always create a goal specific to their plan to return to work. If you work with diabetics, you will likely have a goal that is specific to their medication management and daily glucose monitoring.

Case Managers may not provide direct hands-on care, however, they are performing nursing tasks. They use their nursing knowledge to assess the patient's needs and create a plan. They work one on one for longer periods of time with their clients to achieve better overall health outcomes.

If you think that case management may be for you, research the role of case managers. Below is a list of resources to learn more:

Thanks for this enlightening article. Made my day because I am at a career cross-road. Looking to transition from home health case manager/intake nurse to telecommuting work at home case manager. A few of the readers asked about 'how to find these jobs'. There are several insurance companies such as Aetna and Humana. Check their web sites. There is also Flex Jobs. They charge an annual fee, but you would be pleasantly surprised at the number of work at home jobs and employers that they work with. Good luck!

Specializes in Workforce Development, Education, Advancement.
Susie2310 said:
It's a sad truth that the conventional wisdom that more experience/education in nursing, while usually enabling one to provide superior nursing care, actually can hinder one's employment prospects from the point of view of an employer's prejudice.

I'm sure patients/clients would benefit from having an experienced certified case manager, and I can't imagine how having a MSN wouldn't be beneficial. Alas, what is best for patients/clients is not always the most important consideration from an employer's point of view, much as we as nurses are always strongly encouraged/advised to further our education, certifications, and experience to make ourselves more valuable to patients and employers.

You are so very right! We are encouraged by other nurses and society as a whole to continue our education, whether it be CEUs, degrees or certifications, however employers do not always see the value and certainly do not offer pay incentives for this education. Many employers have stopped offering reimbursement for additional training, which is a sad state of affairs.

I think this is why we must continue to have open honest conversations about our pay, value and worth to the healthcare system as a whole. Many times nurses just "accept" the pay given, when in reality these decisions may be made by a non-clinical person who does not truly understand or value what we offer to patients.

The Nurse Farmer said:
Thanks for this enlightening article. Made my day because I am at a career cross-road. Looking to transition from home health case manager/intake nurse to telecommuting work at home case manager. A few of the readers asked about 'how to find these jobs'. There are several insurance companies such as Aetna and Humana. Check their web sites. There is also Flex Jobs. They charge an annual fee, but you would be pleasantly surprised at the number of work at home jobs and employers that they work with. Good luck!

The Nurse Farmer, BSN,

Yes, you are correct that Aetna and Humana utilize case managers and will allow nurses to work from home at times. Another great company for work at home opportunities is United Health Care. Some smaller companies see the value as well and will allow staff to work at home on a part-time or full-time basis too.

Flex Jobs is a great site, but you do have to pay a fee to see the opportunities they list. You can pay for this monthly, which is what I do if I am looking for new writing opportunities. This is more budget-friendly than the annual fee.

Thanks for the thoughts and best of luck to you on this journey for new opportunities!! ~Melissa

Would you be willing to share more information about the type of health care writing you do (your bio says case management and leadership, but can you explain in more detail), and about the types of clients you provide writing services for along with how you progressed your business?

Part of the issue, as well, can often be that employers have reservations with more experienced nurses as they will likely require a much higher salary.

Can you direct me regarding the 5 week training? Id love to do that but I would like to have the training also !

Specializes in Case Manager/Administrator.

I really like this article, I am working as a case manager and love what I do. My past experience include LNHA, prison nursing and rural emergency to include flight nursing (was learning). I will be eligible to take my CCM test this summer and will apply for testing in December. I can tell you Case Management takes all my assessment skills and also my scenario based thinking to a new level. I think all nurses should be case managers for this is what we do on a daily basis. If you are new to CM then try insurance companies who hire to train. Although it is case management there are profound differences between hospital based/outpatient based (think home health) verses insurance case management. I like the challenges of finding services in areas I have never been to, learning new technologies that deal with direct patient care and networking with patients and providers within all specialties.

Susie2310 said:
Would you be willing to share more information about the type of health care writing you do (your bio says case management and leadership, but can you explain in more detail), and about the types of clients you provide writing services for along with how you progressed your business?

Susie - Take a look at my page and you can learn a bit more about me. I write for several clients, all with different backgrounds. I really look at the needs of each client and match what their mission/vision is for their readers.

I am early in my writing business and having a blast!! What else would you like to know? ~Melissa

Niknnan said:
Part of the issue, as well, can often be that employers have reservations with more experienced nurses as they will likely require a much higher salary.

Niknnan - I partially agree with this. As a nurse of 19 years I have had some employers turn away because of my salary expectation and others who see me as a wealth of knowledge and understand why I want a certain salary. You have to show them why you are worth what you are asking. Some jobs may not work because of your expectation and that is okay! ~Melissa

Neats said:
I really like this article, I am working as a case manager and love what I do. My past experience include LNHA, prison nursing and rural emergency to include flight nursing (was learning). I will be eligible to take my CCM test this Summer and will apply for testing in December. I can tell you Case Management takes all my assessment skills and also my scenario based thinking to a new level. I think all nurses should be case managers for this is what we do on a daily basis. If you are new to CM then try insurance companies who hire to train. Although it is case management there are profound differences between hospital based/outpatient based (think home health) verses insurance case management. I like the challenges of finding services in areas I have never been to, learning new technologies that deal with direct patient care and networking with patients and providers within all specialties.

Neats - You sound a lot like me. Case Management just clicks! I love rising to the challenge of finding what the patient needs outside of what I already know. I enjoy having something new each day that challenges the way I think, plan and organize resources, goals and interventions! So glad you enjoy case management too! ~Melissa

I was a cardiac/telemetry nurse when I started to work as a case manager in ED. I didn't have any experience in case management. But because I have 20+ experience in nursing and a MSN, I got the job. My job is to be a gatekeeper in ED. I review patients' charts and make sure the status ( obs vs inpatient) are correct. I have to call MD's,APNs, Residents to change the orders. I also assist patients in the ED who do not have health insurance, homeless, unable to afford meds, placing patients in hospice, or nursing homes or rehab, or get them DMEs to use at home, or arranging home IV infusions just to name a few. In the beginning it was really hard because I had to make sure that the patient meets the criteria to be an obs vs inpatient. To be a good case manager one should know what the patient really needs when she gets d/c'd from the hospital, the case manager should know resources available in the community, and use proper criteria to avoid denials from insurance and Medicare.

Hi Maybug

Congrats on your new job. I am a RN with a BSN ,MSN and certificate in case management but not yet certified to get me credentials. Presently doing a course in billing and coding.I also would like to start working from home . I have been a nurse for 15 yrs and love nursing . Worked in ER for a while and work some weeks in home health and have other experiences .Presently having ankle issues and think it is a time for a change. I will love to find a company that will hire and also train me on the job. Any suggestions?