Interviewing after Accepting Job Offer

Nurses Career Support

Published

Hello all,

I am a new grad and applied to many hospitals, some of which are hospitals that I truly want. However, as many take a long time to go through the application process, it takes some time to hear back from them. I applied to one hospital, and was given an interview and an offer within about a week. I accepted the offer as I liked the unit that it was for, and as I needed a job, and have just completed my first week of orientation.

However, now some of the hospitals I applied to are finally reaching out to set up interviews. If some of these hospitals end up making a job offer, some of which I'd consider a dream job/hospital, would I be able to accept the offer that I want, and withdraw myself from my current job? Are nurses allowed to leave a week or two into orientation if a more preferable position reaches out, or do I need to stay at the hospital that I accepted the first offer from? I'm new to this process and not sure of what the do's and don't's are.... And I'd like to treat this carefully as I do appreciate the initial offer that I got from my current hospital and don't want to build bridges or seem unappreciative.

Thank you all for your help!

Specializes in Leadership, Psych, HomeCare, Amb. Care.

You can always quit a job to take another, unless you signed a contract with penalties for leaving.

Just realize that you are probably burning a bridge behind you. Someone once said, you only do this once in your career, as if it becomes a habit, no one will want to hire you.

+ Add a Comment