Taking a break after nursing school?

Nurses New Nurse

Published

I know this topic has been asked multiple, multiple times, but I wanted to get some personalized advice because I don't feel like the situations I read about were relevant to me.

I'm in an accelerated BSN program right now, and I will be graduating with my BSN in the beginning of November.

I love traveling and recently have grown an interest in a trip I found online where I will get to travel around Europe for a little over a month. However, even if I take the earliest trip I will not be get back until April-May, which means I would have had around 5-6 months off after my graduation before I am able to work.

My plan is to take the NCLEX as soon as I graduate (my school's graduation dates are weird and no other school in the state graduates the same time we do, so most graduates are usually able to take the NCLEX right after graduation). I also plan on applying for jobs during the months after I take my NCLEX and also during my trip. However, I am wondering if it is still a bad idea to take this trip with my plan. I want to look as appealing to the institutions hiring me. I have read that some nurses take 6+ months after their graduation date to get hired anywhere. However, if I end up getting a job offer/interview before I come back from my trip, I feel like this would be a very big disadvantage to me. Another reason why I want to take this break is because I will be graduating at 19 years old (yes, I'm a kid!). I feel like I need a break before going into the real world and putting my "big girl pants" on and working a "big girl job". Yes, this isn't the best of reasons but after going to school for years without taking summer, winter, or spring breaks, I feel like I need this before I get too burnt out.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I think this is personalized per state on how easy it is to get a job outta school. Congrats on graduating so soon!

Also a new grad but I must say, if you have the means and ability to travel, GO! You're 19 and have your whole life to work.

Specializes in NICU.

Did you graduate from high school at 15? You are in a ABSN program which means you already have a BS in a non-nursing field (3-4 yrs) plus at least 12 months for a ABSN program.

Most new grad residency programs require you to have graduated within 6 months of the program start. If you apply and get calls from Nurse Recruiters/HR while you are in Europe, how are you going handle that?

You are graduating at an excellent time and would have your license before the December graduates which helps getting a job quickly. If you go on the trip, you will be competing with the May graduates and you would no longer be considered a new grad.

Did you graduate from high school at 15? You are in a ABSN program which means you already have a BS in a non-nursing field (3-4 yrs) plus at least 12 months for a ABSN program.

Most new grad residency programs require you to have graduated within 6 months of the program start. If you apply and get calls from Nurse Recruiters/HR while you are in Europe, how are you going handle that?

You are graduating at an excellent time and would have your license before the December graduates which helps getting a job quickly. If you go on the trip, you will be competing with the May graduates and you would no longer be considered a new grad.

Hello!

I'm actually in a program where they only require at least 60 college credits, which i earned as a dual high-school/college program I attended when I was a high school junior & senior. I actually earned my AS a few weeks before I graduated high school, and that was the minimum schooling needed to get into the ABSN program I am in right now.

Thank you for your input. From reading other posts, I was under the assumption that new grad programs hired you until a year after your graduation date.

On a side note: would I be considered too young to practice as an RN, even with my degree/passing NCLEX? Some of my clinical instructors were concerned that I would not be old enough since LVN's, NAP's, etc. have a minimum age requirement of at least 21 in my state.

Thanks for all the help!

Specializes in 15 years in ICU, 22 years in PACU.
I know this topic has been asked multiple, multiple times, but I wanted to get some personalized advice because I don't feel like the situations I read about were relevant to me.

I'm in an accelerated BSN program right now, and I will be graduating with my BSN in the beginning of November.

I love traveling and recently have grown an interest in a trip I found online where I will get to travel around Europe for a little over a month. However, even if I take the earliest trip I will not be get back until April-May, which means I would have had around 5-6 months off after my graduation before I am able to work.

My plan is to take the NCLEX as soon as I graduate (my school's graduation dates are weird and no other school in the state graduates the same time we do, so most graduates are usually able to take the NCLEX right after graduation). I also plan on applying for jobs during the months after I take my NCLEX and also during my trip. However, I am wondering if it is still a bad idea to take this trip with my plan. I want to look as appealing to the institutions hiring me. I have read that some nurses take 6+ months after their graduation date to get hired anywhere. However, if I end up getting a job offer/interview before I come back from my trip, I feel like this would be a very big disadvantage to me. Another reason why I want to take this break is because I will be graduating at 19 years old (yes, I'm a kid!). I feel like I need a break before going into the real world and putting my "big girl pants" on and working a "big girl job". Yes, this isn't the best of reasons but after going to school for years without taking summer, winter, or spring breaks, I feel like I need this before I get too burnt out.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Don't count on this being a realistic expectation.

Based on knowing little about you, I would think your youth will work against you as far as looking appealing. You will be a new grad with no nursing experience and someone in their teens usually has no significant life experience.

Good on you for being such an advanced student but you should have already been networking to get that first job so people will have gotten to know you and not assume you are a flighty teenager.

+ Add a Comment