Should I accept a position as a nurse manager?

Nurses Career Support

Published

Hello all,

I am a 24 year old nurse who has been working very hard as a psychiatric nurse. My plan has always been to have experience as a psych nurse for one to two years and then apply to DNP program. I currently have 1.5 years of experience, 6 months in med-surge and the rest in psych unit. I did apply to DNP program few months ago but unfortunately I didn't get in. The reason I bring this up is because I recently was approached by one of my nurse managers and my director where they offered me a position as a nurse manager for one of the psych units. They said I have great potential, am a hard work, positive, goal oriented and have great people skills which is a great compliment. As much as I'm happy with the offer and quiet frankly shocked I am in loss of what to do. That is a huge step up from a floor nurse that comes with a great responsibility. And quiet frankly all the other nurse managers in mu unit are 60 and above and have many years of experience, which I don't. I also don't have any management experience. I do love being a floor nurse but I also like to move up and grow as a nurse. Both my director and nurse manager said it looks great in my resume to get into DNP program as well. so I have no idea what to do? I appreciate all responses in advance.

Specializes in Clinical Research, Outpt Women's Health.

Management sucks. No win situation. My advice would be to turn it down.

I wouldn't necessarily turn down the position. Being a manager does have increased responsibility. I would first re-evaluate your professional goals. Do not be discouraged because you do not have leadership experience. You can always use the other nurse managers and/or your DON as mentors. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Keep up the good work!

Sincerely,

Nurse Manager

+ Add a Comment