California Licensing Process

Nurses Career Support

Published

I am attempting to become a licensed nurse in California from a nursing school in New York. I graduate this May with a BSN and can take the NCLEX after my graduation. I have already applied for the fingerprint cards to be sent to me. What else can I do to make sure everything is set to take my NCLEX shortly after graduation? I know it can take 10-12 weeks to even be given approval for taking the NCLEX from out of state. Can I start filling out the application for licensure packet and mail it in before graduation? In addition, is there any sites I can register on? Such as Breeze or Pearson? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Specializes in ICU.

Piece of advice. Getting licensed by exam from the state of California will prove extremely difficult later for EVERY state you apply for licensure afterwards. California is not part of Nursys verification process and they probably will NEVER be. That means you have to pay I think $100 for each verification that can take 6-8 weeks or more. Personally I would strongly advise get NY first. They are part of the Nursys verification process. EX If you apply for a PA license, PA or WA only wants the state you were licensed by exam verification. If that is NY it will be electronically sent the same day for $30 bucks. If you license by exam in CA 6-8 weeks 100 bucks. I can have my perm PA license in 1 month due to be licensed by exam in a Nursys state. Going the route you are going 2 months for the same perm PA license.

Specializes in ICU.

Yep Cal verification is $100 bucks.

Fee Schedule

Hi thank you for the advice! I do want to work in CA for several years then receive a New York License, would I have to pay $100 every time I get a license in a different state? Or after NY endorsement would it be much less?

Specializes in ICU.

CA license first =$100 every time you need it verified along with a headache. 100 will increase overtime for sure along with headache.

NY license first = you will save money and have no headache.

Specializes in ICU.

If you ever plan to travel nurse, NEVER GET CA LICENSE FIRST! NEVER unless you have no choice. Bonafide way to delay licensing in other states.

+ Add a Comment