New Grad Job Interview only knowledge-based??

Nurses Job Hunt

Published

Today I had my first interview as a new grad RPN and I was caught off guard. I prepared for all of the questions ive seen on this forum and other sources but what I wasnt prepared for was a) a written test that included 8 images of EKG readings that I was to interpret (something I have never learned in school!) and b) in the actual interview they only asked me questions about my knowledge of medications, lab values etc. Clearly this is important for a nurse to know I just wasnt expecting it in the interview and was unprepared.

My question is: is that typical for an interview with a new grad or for a new grad position? And if so, if you answer something incorrectly will that mean you wont get the job? So confused by this type of interview, I have no idea how I did but I know I gave the wrong high limit for normal blood sugar. Sigh.

I've found those are pretty standard occurrences in an interview. The interview itself might be other questions, but at the end, I've usually had to identify EKG strips and take a medication test. Lesson learned. Hope it works out for you.

Hey! Thanks for the reply- that is good to know!! I will definitely prepare for this in the future. I prepared for the " why do you want to be a nurse/ tell me about yourself/ what drew you to us/ how will you work to achieve our values/ where do you see yourself in 5 years..." etc

The EKG strip thing i'm not sure there is anything I can do about until I take some type of coronary care course because I didnt learn it in school, its not in any of my books, and I tried to google but its a bit complicated for that I think heh. But the rest I will for sure be prepared for in the future!

Also, if anyone has some examples of scenario-based and knowledge-based questions they've experienced in interviews, or might ask someone they are interviewing so I could practice a bit I would sooooo appreciate that!!

Specializes in Critical Care, Education.

IMO, it's entirely appropriate to focus on knowledge for newly graduated/licensed nurses because they do not have any relevant experience upon which to base "behavioral" questions. Of course, interviewers could delve into areas such as conflict management, communication, etc - but establishing clinical competency is always the initial priority for new career nurses.

I'm a bit surprised that your program didn't include basic ECG. Maybe it's a regional thing, but it's not unusual for programs in my part of the country to offer ACLS certification to Senior students... which requires ECG knowledge. You may want to provide your program with feedback about your experience because it seems like they may need to improve student outcomes.

Wishing you all the best as you launch your nursing career.

Thanks for the feedback, thats an excellent suggestion. I am actually working at my school now as a graduate tutor so I will definitely pass it on to them. I have no idea if it is just my school or if it is not in the curriculum in my area but I will look into it. In the meantime, I have asked a friend who is a lab tech to borrow her EKG text books so I can be prepared in the future. I am disappointed and wish that my school had prepared me better for this because I was totally caught off guard and this was really my dream position, but all I can do is learn from it for the future!

Update: I got the job!!

+ Add a Comment