Is it OK to include a photo with resume or CV?

Nurses Nurse Beth

Published

Specializes in Tele, ICU, Staff Development.

Dear Nurse Beth,

I have this one question , is it okay for one to include his or her photo in the resume or curriculum Vitae

Dear Resume Photo,

Good question- never include a photo in your CV or resume or cover letter. Doing so places the employer at risk.

It can be interpreted as discrimination if you include a photo and do not get hired.

For this reason, employers will immediately discard a resume or cover letter with a photo without even reading the document.

Best wishes,

Nurse beth

nurse-beth-purple-logo.jpg

Interestingly enough we were actually encouraged to do so as the "new thing" get with the times put a face to the name-kind of like meeting in person...our university actually provides a free professional photo session for seniors to include in their portfolios. I've included my photo on my resume and have been both denied and granted employment. The place where I was denied-I actually knew the employer from a previous rotation at that hospital but they had other candidates that worked for them in another capacity (union) who had seniority...

Specializes in Tele, ICU, Staff Development.
Interestingly enough we were actually encouraged to do so as the "new thing" get with the times put a face to the name-kind of like meeting in person...our university actually provides a free professional photo session for seniors to include in their portfolios. I've included my photo on my resume and have been both denied and granted employment. The place where I was denied-I actually knew the employer from a previous rotation at that hospital but they had other candidates that worked for them in another capacity (union) who had seniority...

A good place for a photo is in the portfolio that you bring to the interview. It helps them remember you from the others at the end of a long interviewing day, and sets you apart bc other candidates will likely not do this. Putting your picture on a business card is a good way to do this.

But never, ever, on a resume itself. That is setting the employer up for a discrimination lawsuit.

Specializes in Sub-Acute, Skilled, Home Health.

i recently applied for a position of caregiving and a photo was required before application processed! first for me..

Specializes in retired LTC.
i recently applied for a position of caregiving and a photo was required before application processed! first for me..
Am reading this late. And bolding mine.

Could the photo request be required for some kind of security clearance? This poster reports applying for a "caregiving" position. Was this a nurse position for a typical facility or more of a private-for-profit business that was doing a background check?

For all the reasons given, I've always known it to be a BIG NEVER to enclose a resume photo.

It needs to be addressed that I believe that there are 2 types of discrimination - the kind 'AGAINST' or the kind 'IN FAVOR OF' (kind of like as in passive or aggressive).

Like looking at pix of a middle-aged, chubby, eye-glass wearing black female or a young, slender, blonde, Barbie-doll white female. Who might get the nod?

In this age of PG satisfaction scores, I seriously believe that many scores are being influenced by nurses' physical characteristics rather than technical skills. And might NOT this subconscious bias carry over to a recruiter's perception of applicants? I would HOPE NOT, but can I prove this?

Now I have heard of including a photo when the position was clearly intended for a physically fit and attractive applicant (like gym fitness or diet supplement sales).

Specializes in Emergency and Neonate.

at first i disagree with Nurse Beth then this photo situation happened to me.

For some reason, i landed on some e-mails regarding my application and i almost didn't got the position because " He looks like he have a solid clinical background but he looks like someone with weak management skills."

Fortunately, the bigger boss was focusing on the content of my CV.

Lesson learned: Do not put a picture in a CV especially if you have the meek appearance or scary appearance. It is ridiculous but that is reality.

Hello,

I'm wondering if it's okay to put my professional photo on the cover page of my nursing portfolio?

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.
Hello,

I'm wondering if it's okay to put my professional photo on the cover page of my nursing portfolio?

Only if you are handing the portfolio out in person (for the reasons Nurse Beth explained above).

But even then, I wouldn't do it. Getting the job (or not) should not be about your looks -- and when an applicant implies that his/her looks are important to me as a hiring manager by including a picture -- I find it "off-putting." It makes me a little uncomfortable as I have to try to ignore the image and avoid allowing it to influence my decisions. An applicant that gives me that extra challenge and makes me feel a little uncomfortable is not doing themselves any favors.

However, including a small picture in a portfolio or similar document that you bring in person to an interview would be OK and may help the interview remember the applicant.

Only if you are handing the portfolio out in person (for the reasons Nurse Beth explained above).

But even then, I wouldn't do it. Getting the job (or not) should not be about your looks -- and when an applicant implies that his/her looks are important to me as a hiring manager by including a picture -- I find it "off-putting." It makes me a little uncomfortable as I have to try to ignore the image and avoid allowing it to influence my decisions. An applicant that gives me that extra challenge and makes me feel a little uncomfortable is not doing themselves any favors.

However, including a small picture in a portfolio or similar document that you bring in person to an interview would be OK and may help the interview remember the applicant.

Thank you for your input. I would think it's a great idea for the interviewers to remember me at the end of the day. Of course, how well you answered the interviews questions are far more important, but i think that it's not a bad idea to put a picture on the cover page for the purpose of helping the interviewers to remember who you are.

+ Add a Comment