New Nurse in Portland=No Job

Nurses New Nurse

Published

I recently graduated from nursing school in Arizona and passed the NCLEX. Unfortunately, my husband and I had to move to Portland, Oregon from Arizona, where there are many opportunities for new nurses to start their careers. Prior to going into nursing, I had jobs as a research assistant and lab instructor at a university, while I was getting my master's degree in Biological Sciences. I then worked as a laboratory technologist and clinical assistant at a clinic for almost 5 years before going to nursing school.

I have always wanted to work in the medical field and felt that nursing would be a good fit for me and give me more opportunities to have a great career. I have a strong background in both science and in the medical field. I even did a preceptorship in the ER at Maricopa County's public hospital, but I still am having a hard time finding any job in Portland. I have read and followed all of the Job Search tips, and I have even started applying to part-time and temp jobs in any department. I apply to every new grad position that comes available. I am starting to become desperate and am afraid that I may have to live away from my husband to find a job. It's very depressing to get rejected at every turn after working so hard. If anyone has any advice regarding employment in the Portland area, I could really use it.

If you haven't already, check out all of Nurse Beth's articles, including the ones on her website, nursecode.com. Also, start volunteering at a hospital you'd like to work at- getting face time so that managers can evaluate you at their leisure, plus you can evaluate them too (maybe there's someone you'd Rather Not work with that you'd discover). Good Luck!

Specializes in Critical Care, Education.

So sorry you're stuck in such a bad situation. Portland is a lovely city, but I believe that their economy has been in 'shrink' mode for a while and this has affected job availability in most industries. The growth is actually in the 'ex-urbs' (waaaay outlying suburbs). Have you extended your search to those areas? My informants have also indicated that PDX hospitals are pretty much BSN-only for new hires now.

Wishing you good job Mojo.

I have started to look in outlying areas (up to 3 hours away), but this would still mean that I spend time living apart from my husband. I did the same thing for nursing school and am just really burned out on the traveling. I did receive my BSN in addition to the BS and MS in biological sciences, so education level shouldn't be a deciding factor. I don't know if it's that hiring managers see a lack of experience even though I have 5 years of medical experience or if there is some other problem with my applications and interviews.

+ Add a Comment