Planning to take NCLEX AGAIN on another state

  1. I have a RN license on Vermont that is inactive and was expired March 2011.Since it's a very lengthy process and inconvenient to go to Vermont to take re-entry programs to get my license renewed and then transferred to NJ.Is it possible for me to just take another NCLEX exam here in NJ even if I have an inactive license in Vermont?Hope to clear some things before I make some actions.
  2. Tags
    Visit YanNurse profile page

    About YanNurse

    Joined: Aug '06; Posts: 49; Likes: 9
    Registered Nurse; from US
    Specialty: OR Nurse


  3. by   dishes
    The New Jersey BON are the ones who can advise you if you are required to write the NCLEX or if you are required to take a refresher course.
  4. by   Meriwhen
    Agreed: if NJ is where you are living and want to be licensed, then the NJ BON are the ones you need to speak to.
  5. by   aniemugundu
    Hi YanNurse,
    I am in the same situation as you. My Vermont license is also in inactive stage and it seems like i have to go to Vermont to do the Re-entry program. I live in California and i wanted to endorse my VT license to California. So did you figure out something? Could you please share your experience? I appreciate your help.
  6. by   inezarochette
    Hello aniemugundu!

    It's been a year now since you post this message and I just happened to read it. Anyway, you can do the refresher course at South Dakota State University through online. There are two parts, the theory which you'll do online and the clinical part in which you need to check with any hospital or long term care facility who can offer this to you. You don't have to do it in Vermont. You can do it as to which state you are now. Hope this post will still help you or others maybe who will read this post in the future.
  7. by   P_RN
    The NCLEX is the same everywhere. The requirements for getting an active license are what varies. The BON where you live will be able to tell you what you need to do. I am in SC and the requirements go by the number of years out, the number of hours in that period of time that were met, Call the BON. The south Dakota re-up is a good idea if that's what your BON says you need in number of hours to re-up.