Continue Education with Bachelor Biology?Register Today!
- by pradachick Sep 4, '11Hello,
I am finishing my ASN and I am contemplating continuing my education by getting a bachelors in biology or a BSN. What are the benefits in getting my bachelors in biology? Would a biology degree broaden my horizon in any way, or would it hinder my job opportunities? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
- 1,559 Views
- Sep 5, '11 by elkparkIf your intention is to stay in nursing, rather than getting another degree as a way to get out of nursing, there is no other baccalaureate degree that will benefit you professionally as much as a BSN. Turn the situation around and think of it the other way -- can you imagine anyone telling someone trying to further a career in biology that a degree in nursing would be a good idea, rather than an additional/higher degree in biology??
If you want to study biology and get a degree in it for your own personal satisfaction, that's a different matter. But, if you're looking to expand your professional opportunities within nursing, get a BSN.
Best wishes for your journey!
- Sep 5, '11 by llgI strongly agree with elkpark -- and think that her advice to "turn it around" to help you think it through is great advice.
A BSN is necessary to advance your nurisng career -- and employers are increasingly preferring BSN's over ADN's and ASN's for even many entry-level jobs. Get the BSN if you want to be considered for most RN jobs in the future.
If you want to leave nursing and be a biologist, then a degree in biology would make sense.
- Sep 5, '11 by pradachickThank you for your advice it is greatly appreciated.
- Sep 17, '11 by hotstudentnurseHoly Cow, you all are so rude. I wish the administrators would control some of your attitudes. Reading these forums really makes me think twice about becoming a nurse if this is how you treat your fellow nursing peers.
- Sep 17, '11 by llgDear pradachick:
I hope you weren't offended by anything I said. I wasn't meaning to be harsh at all. I was just trying to give you the facts ... and just the facts. I wish you the best of luck with your career.
- Dec 31, '11 by gizzy123i have a bs in biology and it is useless to me. i went back to school for my associates in nursing and i am currently looking into my bsn. i want to go back to school but i am not sure i want to go rn-msn because i want to be get my apn and that is a whole different route. my degree in biology has been useless since i got it. i am not even sure why i did it. i worked in a lab for $12 an hour it was horrible. what do you want to do with this degree