Continue Education with Bachelor Biology?Register Today!
This is a discussion on Continue Education with Bachelor Biology? in Registered Nurses: Diploma / ADN / BSN, part of General Nursing ... Hello, I am finishing my ASN and I am contemplating continuing my education by getting a...by pradachick Sep 4, '11Hello,
I am finishing my ASN and I am contemplating continuing my education by getting a bachelors in biology or a BSN. What are the benefits in getting my bachelors in biology? Would a biology degree broaden my horizon in any way, or would it hinder my job opportunities? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=613383©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,143 Views
- Sep 5, '11 by elkparkIf your intention is to stay in nursing, rather than getting another degree as a way to get out of nursing, there is no other baccalaureate degree that will benefit you professionally as much as a BSN. Turn the situation around and think of it the other way -- can you imagine anyone telling someone trying to further a career in biology that a degree in nursing would be a good idea, rather than an additional/higher degree in biology??
If you want to study biology and get a degree in it for your own personal satisfaction, that's a different matter. But, if you're looking to expand your professional opportunities within nursing, get a BSN.
Best wishes for your journey!
- Sep 5, '11 by llgI strongly agree with elkpark -- and think that her advice to "turn it around" to help you think it through is great advice.
A BSN is necessary to advance your nurisng career -- and employers are increasingly preferring BSN's over ADN's and ASN's for even many entry-level jobs. Get the BSN if you want to be considered for most RN jobs in the future.
If you want to leave nursing and be a biologist, then a degree in biology would make sense.
- Sep 5, '11 by pradachickThank you for your advice it is greatly appreciated.
- Sep 17, '11 by hotstudentnurseHoly Cow, you all are so rude. I wish the administrators would control some of your attitudes. Reading these forums really makes me think twice about becoming a nurse if this is how you treat your fellow nursing peers.
- Sep 17, '11 by tnbutterflyI do not see any rudeness in the responses that have been posted. The members are trying to answer the questions posed in the first post.
- Sep 17, '11 by llgDear pradachick:
I hope you weren't offended by anything I said. I wasn't meaning to be harsh at all. I was just trying to give you the facts ... and just the facts. I wish you the best of luck with your career.
- Dec 31, '11 by gizzy123i have a bs in biology and it is useless to me. i went back to school for my associates in nursing and i am currently looking into my bsn. i want to go back to school but i am not sure i want to go rn-msn because i want to be get my apn and that is a whole different route. my degree in biology has been useless since i got it. i am not even sure why i did it. i worked in a lab for $12 an hour it was horrible. what do you want to do with this degree