Loved my first week as a private duty nurse! - page 2
by Lorie P.
:d i have to let it be known, i loved my first week as a private duty nurse! after only one day of training, i had my routine down and could not belive how well it went. i had had time to sit and talk with my pt, make him... Read More
- 0Jan 19, '09 by ArwenEvenstarQuote from iwannaFor RN's, typical PD pay would be $18 to $22/hour depending on where in the country you are located. I make right in the middle. Yes, it is a major paycut from the hospital but as a burned out hospital nurse I had had it. It is nice to have only one patient! Although there are some unique stressors to PD, it is totally different than the hospital! A refreshing change! I could never work in a hospital again - I ran from the bedside screaming! haha! I have worked through two agencies now. First was a "mom and pop" place that was bought out by a national company. Now I work for Maxim. I can say both good and bad about Maxim. There is no perfect place to work...I appreciate it, too! I am going to orientation next Tuesday. It is a Maxim Agency. I have five years experience in Behavioral Health and no med-surg experience. I did just complete a refresher course. I will not take any cases that I feel uncomfortable with. I am confident with my assessment skills. But, I wil check out cases, and hope they have a good fit for me. And, I have no clue what the pay is yet. We did not discuss that yet. Any clues as to what the rate would be for PD in Northeast Ohio area?
- 1Jan 20, '09 by Lorie P.right now my pay as a lpn is 19.00 hr, almost 2x what i got paid on a busy med/surge floor with 6-9 pts. in the hospital setting less pay more work and pts, pdn more pay, less work and only one pt, so now you can understand why i chose this route.:d
i was getting very burned out at the hospital after 5 years of nights and so many pts. was hating to go to work, was mad all the time, cause i was trying my best to provide the best care to my pts was unable due to a number of factors, staffing, sicker pts, etc, etc, etc.
i agree, maxim has it good and bads just like any other job. but my health and sanity are so much better now. also i get to set my hours and days i work.
like now, i am working but my pt is still sleeping with mom and dad behind closed doors. i never know what time she wakes up, some days 8:30 am and other days 1300, depends on the night she had. now if i were at the hospital right now, no way i could be on my laptop .:typing
so this is soooooooo much better and i get to retain my skills and work with out all the other crap !
- 0Jan 20, '09 by iwannaWow, I would be estatic if I could make $19 hr. I am an LPN, and my part of the world is the lower paying side. I live on the PA/OH border. When I interviewed for LTC in PA the pay rate was $13 starting. In OH, I think LTC starts about $15-16 an hr. The hospital is $14 hr. So, my guesstimate would be about $12-14 with Maxim.
- 1Jan 21, '09 by Lorie P.Quote from iwannai live in the deep south and in this area lpn's at snf make 10.50-12.00 starting pay and the same at hospitals. about the most a lpn makes is 13.00-14.00 and that is with 5+ yrs experience. one might make 15.00-16.00 including shift difs if you work night shifts, which means more pts and more work!wow, i would be estatic if i could make $19 hr. i am an lpn, and my part of the world is the lower paying side. i live on the pa/oh border. when i interviewed for ltc in pa the pay rate was $13 starting. in oh, i think ltc starts about $15-16 an hr. the hospital is $14 hr. so, my guesstimate would be about $12-14 with maxim.
so yes i am very happy to make what i make now! also anything over 40hrs i get over time pay and i get in anywhere from 50-60hrs a week. my current client is authorized 70hrs a week and i can work all 70 if i want too.
also with maxim here pays depends on your experience and the pt's case.
- 0Jan 21, '09 by iwannaI guess that every Maxim agency is so different in the pay rates. I get that pay rates differ in what type of nursing you are in. I was making $16 an hr. for LPN psych hospital job, but that was after being there for four years. I started at $12 hr. I interviewed at LTC in PA and starting rate was $13 hr.
I have five years experience in Mental Health. I have not med-surg experience. But, I did work geri-psych. So, I guess for Maxim, it would be considered entry level, since I have no med-surg experience.
Oh well, I will see. I am looking at the whole picture here. I can take less pay for awhile, as I am on disability for several months. I will continue to receive what I get, if I work at least 24 hrs. a week. Also, I am applying at a local nursing home. I know that it would be very rough, but I feel that I would learn more skills. I think that it really depends on your "nursing team". When I worked geri-psych, we had a great team and all worked together. I just hope the place that I am applying to, has a good team. As I am in remission mode of my illness(sarcoidosis), I need to get plenty of rest to stay this way. Meanwhile, I am checking out Maxim.
Nursehobbit, you are saying that you are getting paid more than you were in the hospital or LTC? I thought that Maxim paid less than other areas of nursing. Or, is this a case where they are all different?
- 0Jan 21, '09 by Lorie P.nursehobbit, you are saying that you are getting paid more than you were in the hospital or ltc? i thought that maxim paid less than other areas of nursing. or, is this a case where they are all different?[/quote]
yes!:d iam making more with maxim than i ever did with ltc or hospital nursing. one of the many reasons i left those areas.
new grad lpn"s here only start out at 10.50 in the local hospitals and those that have 3+ yrs only start out at the rate of 14-16.00. usually they have to start on night shifts and might make 17.00 at the most with shift difs.
since you only want to work about 24hrs a week, pdn seems the way to go.
pm me and we can discuss more!
- 0Sep 2, '10 by khaye_rnhappy for you...as for my case, im enjoying my work as a pdn as well, for i can manage my sched, unlike in the hospitals... but im working 12 hours/shift, 5 days a week.... and the family doesn't pay us well... lower than the usual or standard fee for pdn... im looking for possible openings right now...