Other struggling Chem students...don't be shy!Register Today!
This is a discussion on Other struggling Chem students...don't be shy! in Pre-Nursing Student, part of Nursing Student ... I'm studying pre-nursing at Tarrant County College and I expect to be done with my pre-requisites...by Trinklee Sep 28, '12I'm studying pre-nursing at Tarrant County College and I expect to be done with my pre-requisites by the end of this summer. The sciences I'm required to complete are Chemistry, A&P 1, A&P2, and Microbiology. I started off with Chemistry and I thought it would be the easiest, but I was wrong! It's more difficult than the honors A&P class I took in high school. Lots of math and details, which I'm awful with. I studied as much as was possible for my first exam and I made an 85. That's not terrible, but I NEED an "A."
Is anyone else struggling with Chemistry? Perhaps there are others reading who were struggling, but overcame the difficulties and managed to make an "A." How did you succeed? Are there any good books or websites to help?
What a headache...
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=789251©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,099 Views
- Sep 28, '12 by catheringChemistry IS a difficult subject. I struggled with it in high school and into college. However, it is doable! With chemistry, you have to really grasp the concepts.. I watched many conceptual chem videos on YouTube. I am a visual learner so that helped me tremendously. Also I can't remember the user, but there are many videos on there that solved through similar problems I had for homework.. That worked for me. Also you must x10000 do the homework! Almost all chem problems are usually word problems so get used to it! Lastly, I bought the student solutions manual for my text book so I could revisit my steps and compare with the solution manual (it shows the series of steps to solving the problem and the correct answer) so that I can see where I went wrong or an easier way to solving the problem. Oh, and you must know vocab definitions and listing the definitions of theorems always found its way into an exam! Good luck and good luck in ur nursing career, I start school in jan (: Cathy
- Sep 28, '12 by TrinkleeCathy, thanks for the advice. I will definitely look on YouTube! I hear something called Khan Academy is helpful. Perhaps I should catch up on my homework. It's even more difficult because I missed one day of lecture and lab. Congrats on starting school in a few months!
- Sep 28, '12 by rubatoI sucked at chemistry at first. I think I got a C on the first exam because of conversions and sig figs. But, I ended up with an A in the class. Just buckle down, push through and get it done!
- Sep 28, '12 by AustincbWow I need this thread! I'm taking a&p & chm along with 2 other classes. I made a 90 on my exam and struggled but made it. This week I've literally sat in lecture and did t understand anything my professor said. We had a quiz today and I made a 50 sooo disheartening because he went over everything with me and I still bombed AND I studied the night before. He rarely gives homework but I bought a study guide with practice problems. I spent half the night crying because of my poor score, I cannot fail/drop this class or I lose my financial aid
- Oct 1, '12 by TrinkleeAustincb, I'm the same with financial aid. Chemistry is just so difficult for me. I guess we just have to push through. :/
- Oct 1, '12 by TrinkleeThanks for the encouragement, rubato!
- Oct 2, '12 by AustincbWe have student support services on campus Which includes tutoring So I started the process to get it tutor to help me with chemistry. I sure do hope that helps!!!!
- Oct 3, '12 by TrinkleeThanks, Austincb. I found another student in my class who LOVES Chem and is very good at it, so he's going to be helping me. I'm also going to visit my science center. It took me forever to even realize that we have tutoring for science, because it's way up on the third floor and nobody talks about it. Tutoring for math and writing are highly advertized here, but it's as if tutoring for science doesn't even exist.
- Oct 3, '12 by thats so awesomeChemistry was insane when I took it. It just made no freakin sense to me. I finally found an incredible study group (thank you Jesus ) and it finally clicked. Hope everything turns out well for you!