Nursing instructor requirements - Page 2Register Today!
- Oct 30, '12 by erocI had an ASN instructor...yes I looked up the "Nurse Practice Act' in my state and it's not legal.
My experience is.... working as a nurse and/or having a Master's degree does not make you a good instructor.
Teaching is a SKILL that has to be developed. Being good at something does not always translate to being a good teacher, nor does having a higher degree.
Too many people want to be teacher, yet don't have what it takes. Sad there is already a shortage of instructors.
- Oct 30, '12 by SycamoreGuyIt depends on the state, in Indiana you must have a BSN to teach LPNs and below. Anything above LPN requires a MSN in nursing education. Clinical instructors are a whole different beast
- Oct 31, '12 by dudette10Quote from AustincbIn my state, an instructor must have a degree one level above that which they are teaching, so a BSN can legally teach at the CC level.No more education doesn't equal better instructors but I do feel some classes on education and students learning would be appropriate. I'm going to meet with advisor tomorrow will ask her.
Keep in mind that education classes and student learning models are usually only included for Nurse Educator MSN programs. Most MSNs do not choose the NE concentration. In fact, at my school only one had an NE MSN; all others chose various NP concentrations.
- Oct 31, '12 by elkparkAlso, just because the school lists the minimum requirements for the positions, that doesn't mean they are actually hiring instructors who only meet the minimum requirements. In my experience teaching in ADN and BSN programs, faculty members have all had much more than the minimum requirements (in terms of clinical experience, at least) for the positions they were in.
- Oct 31, '12 by AustincbMy conclusion after thinking about this for days is this, if we don't succeed it is reflected in the school pass rates with the Bon so I know they do want that for us! We also have those things called books:/ I can listen to lecture but I have to go back and read my books as well!!!