I'm torn between two career choices....
- 0Nov 18, '12 by givemeu1Hi all,
I'm currently taking my pre-reqs as a Pre-Health Science major, and wanted to apply to LPN school in February and eventually bridge to ADN, but torn between applying or continuing my education (pre-reqs) and applying to Paramedic School in 2014. Having completed both EMT-B and CNA, I am familiar with both fields. Both are great choices but my love for emergency medicine is where I want to be. The only drawback is that the only Paramedic School in my area is an hour away. I'm a 32 yo wife and mother of 3, so that means having to work as well. I've been told by friends who are Paramedics that the salary is not as great as Nurses and some eventually went on to be RNs because of this, this is not the case with me, the salary is not why I want this so bad. One friend that gave me the most valuable information said, "It's a tough job, the hours are long, and the pay is not so great, but the feeling you get when you save the life of a patient that is near death, is the best feeling in the world. You have to love your job or you will burn out quickly." I love this quote from him. I guess I already have my answer as too which one I want, but the draw backs and having to retake my EMT course because the two year window for me has expired, is whats keeping from it. I know it's going to be a tough and long road, just wanted to see if anyone had any feedback as to how I can get to where I want to be. I'm a little confused and spoke with advisors that said Nurse to Paramedic bridge would be best, but that's a bit of a long road. Hoping someone can give me some info on how to get started or your experiences on bridging to different medical fields. Thanks!
- 1,497 Visits
- 0Nov 21, '12 by Nurse ABCWell nurses DO make more money and have many more opportunities for advancement and variety than paramedics do and because of this I would recommend the nurse route. Nursing school is much harder and more time-consuming but it would pay off more in the long run. There are plenty of opportunities to help save lives in the hospital like the ER, critical care, ICU, being on a rapid response team, etc. Paramedics do lots of transports where they just drive an ambulance with a nurse and patient in the back to other facilities. It's not always exciting. Also, you will see a lot of people and situations you can't help the patient like suicides, car accidents, etc. At least if they've made it to the hospital alive they have a fighting chance. I think it would be much easier to retire as a nurse than a paramedic as well. However, if your heart is really set on being a paramedic then start there and you can always go back to school later if you decide you want to. I have a great respect for paramedics and don't think they always get the recognition or pay they deserve esp
- 0Nov 22, '12 by givemeu1Thanks Nurse ABC....It's a hard decision. Just today, a friend of mine who graduates with her BSN in a couple weeks, heard the good news that she received a job in the ER of our local hospital upon graduation. We both love emergency medicine. She is the daughter of my EMT instructor. We never knew each other while I was in school but came across one another and became great friends, fate? I hope I can make up my mind sooner or later. They say if you have doubts about something then maybe its not meant to be. who knows thanks again!
- 0Nov 23, '12 by FDW630It sounds like your heart is in the paramedic route. Go for it! Don't settle for nursing if it isn't your first choice. It is a lot of time, money and family sacrifice either way you go. Make it count and do what you know you really want. You run the risk of going through all that and regretting your decision if you do nursing first. The bonus to medic first is if you try paramedic and find out you'd rather go for nursing, you can bridge...same as having LPN (in my state at least. Assuming its like that everywhere.). I could never settle. It is one year. That's a short time in the grand scheme of things. Go for it!
- 0Nov 23, '12 by givemeu1Thank you FDW630! I am going for Paramedic! I agree with you, my heart isn't with Nursing right now and will most likely regret not following my dream. Who knows? That may change in the future and can indeed choose the bridge. Thanks again for making the choice that much easier!
- 0Nov 24, '12 by windsurfer8When you are old and about to die....will you look back and think I did what I wanted to do? Weigh it all out, but I would not trust a message board to make a lifetime decision for you. Input is good, but in the end it is up to you. No matter what you decide hit it hard and give maximal effort. I got my BSN in 2005 and since then I work as hard as I can. It is all what works for you.