I don't know what to do!!! Help!
- 0Feb 25, '13 by maddiemSo I've been a student at a community college for about 3 years now. I graduated high school in 2010. I come from a family where not everyone went to college...My dad was the only one in his family who went to college and my mom was a college drop out. I'm the only child in my family who is/is ever going to college. I was a really average high school student, but never really worked hard at school because no one ever pushed me. When I got to college I realized I wanted to focus on the sciences because it seemed like most of the job opportunities were there. I've done fairly well in school until last semester when my mom and I began the process of foreclosure and bankruptcy...I had to work so much and school quickly fell to the side. I'm currently retaking the courses that I didn't pass last semester (no science courses, just gen eds). As far as nursing pre-requisites go I have A's in A&P 1 and 2, general psych, life span psych, nutrition...And some B's in basic gen eds like english and speech. I have 2 C's in gen ed courses too (a random psych course that won't apply to nursing school and a humanities course). My problem is that I've been flipping back and forth between what direction I want to go with my major...I feel like I can't make up my mind!!! I know that I would completely LOVE nursing. But I'm so afraid that I've messed up my chance because of my last semester I think I have a shot at getting into a few schools in my area, but I just don't know what's holding me back. Part of me thinks I'm just lame for still being in community college and working while living at home while the rest of the people I went to high school with are over half way done with their degrees. It sounds silly, I know. I guess I'm just in need of some advice and encouragement! Help!
- 0Feb 25, '13 by zoe92I don't think the semester of gen eds that you didn't do well in will hurt you. Because you seem on the fence, have you thought about shadowing different people at a hospital? You could try to follow a nurse to see if you really want this or if you should look at another health related career. There's so many choices in medical fields of study now that you have a lot of options.
- 0Feb 25, '13 by serenitylove14Try using the one time drop of a course grade option most schools have. Also, no one in my immediate family went to college or most of the people in the distant family as well, I was one of the only ones and I worked full time the whole time and lived on my own. No one pushed my in highschool I pushed myself because my opinion is all that matters when it comes to the decisions I make in my life. So in order to succeed in any major especially nursing you need to find something in you that will help you push your way through it. There will be plenty of times you are ready to quit or give up but only the strong willed will survive.
- 0Feb 25, '13 by maddiemThank you all so much for your words of encouragement and advice! I've been so discourage lately seeing everyone I went to high school with talking about almost being done with degrees. I'm definitely going to look into shadowing a nurse! But I'm fairly sure that this is the direction I want to go with my career now I've just been feeling so much pressure to transfer to a university lately and get out of community college. I guess I have to remind myself that I'm only 21 and I have plenty of time!!
- 0Feb 26, '13 by tifarubyIm 22, english is not my first language, i've been in Community College 3 yrs and havent got in to nursing program. Im working, going to school and supporting my family at the same time. I feel depressed and discouraged but I have gone too far to stop, im just gonna keep chasing my dream which become a nurse . So dont give up on your dream. It will never be late for anything!! Just keep pursuing it because when you make it come true that means you're doing what you love.. You feel wonderful about that! . As long as your science course's grade are A's, you'll be fine to apply for nursing. Im waiting for the accepted letter for Nursing Bs .. Good luck to whatever you do