how to transfer lisence between states?

  1. Right now I am living in Oklahoma and waiting to find out if i got into LPN school ( I got the interview for Thursday May 10th) and eventually after my fiance' and I are both finished with our schooling we plan on moving to Indiana to be closer to his family so I would need to transfer my license... How would I go about doing that?
  2. Visit katjamarie profile page

    About katjamarie

    Joined: May '12; Posts: 2


  3. by   leenak
    Check the Indiana Board of Nursing website. It should have instructions.
  4. by   RNsRWe
    Leenak is correct, check the BON website. Just as an FYI, you aren't really seeking to "transfer" your license (once you have it), you are seeking an endorsement from the Indiana State BON. Your license, once issued, stays as is, and you can apply for an endorsement in each State in which you wish to work.

    Something else to consider is the possibility of taking the NCLEX-PN (the licensing exam) IN Indiana, so that you don't need to go through it at all.
  5. by   Double-Helix
    You'll need to apply for "Licensure by Endorsement" in the state of Indiana. The BON website should have information about how to do this- it's fairly straight foreward (send the applications and wait for a response) so I wouldn't really worry about it until you actually need to apply. You have to have a valid license in another state to apply for licensure by endorsement.

    However, you can also apply for licensure directly from Indiana. If you are moving shortly after you graduate, then this is your best option. But if you plan to stay and work in OK for awhile after you graduate, then you should apply to OK first, and then endorse to Indiana.

    I graduated from nursing school in Maine, but I knew I was moving to New Jersey right after graduating. I applied for my license and took my NCLEX in New Jersey, and they issued my license. So when you have graduated, you can send your application for licensure directly to the Indiana BON. Then, once they approve your application, you can take the NCLEX in any state. You can take it in OK, if you're still living there, or you can take it in Indiana. No matter where you take the test, your license will be issued by the state where you applied.