Yale GEPN Applicants 2013 - Page 8Register Today!
- Nov 9, '12 by kdiemThanks so much for the concrete details atomicgirl! Now we don't have to sit and wonder. December 15... that's a little over a month everyone!
- Nov 13, '12 by meli.avilaDec 15th. good to know! Thank you! so I figured I might as well pick your brains while we are all waiting:
That was QUITE the essay. It was challenging to get the essay to "flow" while keeping the questions in order. I wasn't sure whether the sub-prompts from question one were meant to be kept in order. I kept them in order because I figured it was better to have the essay a bit choppy than to risk not following instructions. What did you guys do?
1. Discuss the development of your interest in graduate education in nursing, specifically:
- Why are you choosing to pursue a career as a nursing professional in your chosen specialty area, such as acute care nurse practitioner, midwifery, pediatric nurse practitioner, nursing management/leadership, etc? Why have you chosen this career rather than an advanced degree in another health field?
- How does your background and previous experience related to this decision?
- Describe observations or work experiences you have had with professionals in this area and how those experiences have influenced your decision to apply to YSN.
- How does your background relate to this decision?
- Nov 13, '12 by samdamanYeah, I pretty much stuck to the essay directions...was a challenge but I managed to make it work somehow. Man, so many FNP applicants...I hope we all get interviews at least!
- Nov 13, '12 by hollysfI tried to keep the sub-topics of the first question in order, but I also tried to develop them into an all encompassing story. I have no clue if it was a good idea or not. I remember reading that admissions suggested treating the essay like a creative writing project. I didn't want my personal statement to read like a questionnaire. My GPA and GRE are only average, and so I really needed to stand out in my essay. I followed all of the other questions religiously.
- Nov 14, '12 by atomicgirlWriting that essay was like pulling teeth! lol. I had the worst writer's block while writing that essay. I had it proofread a dozen times and created 15 drafts. It was nuts. I kept it all in order, even the subtopics. I figured it was best to follow directions and to have a choppier essay than not follow directions and risk them throwing out my app altogether lol. Does anyone know about the structure of the interviews, what questions they tend to ask, etc.? I keep thinking I'm just going to freeze up and stutter a bunch...I don't think I interview well.Last edit by atomicgirl on Nov 14, '12 : Reason: grammatical error
- Nov 21, '12 by samdamanatomgirl...might help to read something like this to help you prepare for your interview.
Amazon.com: The Interview Rehearsal Book (9780425166864): Deb Gottesman, Buzz Mauro: Books
I know it's for getting jobs...but I think many concepts still apply.
- Nov 25, '12 by JustD16Anyone else really getting antsy? December 15th seems so far away!!! Especially since it would be icing on the cake to find out such awesome news right before the holidays.
- Nov 25, '12 by wnabanrsHi all, I'm a current GEPN (psych specialty). Taking a study break; thought I'd pop in and wish you all some good luck. I remember how awful the waiting was. Best of luck to you all!
- Dec 1, '12 by steve21021Does the December 15 date apply to us as well? Or was that for only undergrads?