College of Mount St Joseph MAGELIN- Direct Entry MSN. - Page 3Register Today!
- Nov 27, '12 by Nursetobe1991I am looking to apply to this program after graduating with a bachelors in zoology in May 2013. I think I will have a 3.0 gpa when i graduate. Has anyone gotten into this program with a gpa around that? Please let me know
- Dec 3, '12 by kespelage14I think my overall gpa was a 3.2 and I was accepted, finishing up my first semester in the program.
- Dec 7, '12 by kespelage14OhRN2, I'm a semester behind you. Can you tell me about the Pharmacology lab, and what you have to do for the test? I'm already getting worried about it lol
- Dec 15, '12 by primetimewillisHello all, Where should I look for scholarship opportunities? Some suggested websites would help.
- Dec 18, '12 by OhRN2To Nursetobe1991 - a 3.0 should be fine. If they aren't comfortable with it, they will ask you to take the GRE. If you get called for an interview, ask if they see your GPA interfering with your acceptance. They will be very honest. But, I believe as long as you are above 3.0 you are fine.
kespelage14 - Pharm Lab! Lucky you So I hear you guys get a couple of weeks longer than us which will be very nice!! I don't want to scare you, but a lot of the ppl did NOT pass ALL of the skills. And, there is a written exam at the end that you HAVE to get above a 75 on to stay in the program. I did fine on that but we had some who didn't. Otherwise, the quizzes definitely prep you for the exam. My suggestion is to practice each skill as you learn it. So, you will learn how to pass Oral Meds on day one. Come in on Saturday and practice that like three times. STEP BY STEP from the beginning through documentation. Then, the next week when you learn how to give SubQ and IM shots... come in on Saturday, run through oral meds once or twice (it takes the longest but is the easiest to mess up on I think) and then do your SubQ and IM several times. Then the same when you learn how to hang a piggyback or start a mainline or do a push. That way, when the lab is totally crowded the weekend before you won't be trying to cram everything in.
Otherwise, have a wonderful semester I can't lie and tell you it is going to be super easy, but I got straight A's so it can't be that bad ;-) If you struggle - buy the Davis Success books - a lot of ppl in my class said they helped them a ton. Good luck!
- Dec 18, '12 by OhRN2And for scholarships, if you are a minority or under-represented population in nursing (first generation college student, male, LGBT, etc.) then you should definitely apply for the Robert Wood Johnson Scholarship. You can find info on it on the colleges website. I am a white female and I got it because I am the first female on BOTH sides of my family to graduate from college and of course the first to attend grad school. It is $10,000 so paid for the first semester and some. There is also the Catherine Relihan scholarship listed on the website that is for people who want to be nurse leaders. It is $5000. Otherwise, look at the AACN and their scholarships. There are a lot of random ones that require essays for $1000 or so. I would get started now because if I remember correctly many deadlines were around the first of the year - February (that is, if you are starting in May 2013). Good luck.
- Dec 18, '12 by primetimewillisThanks for the information. I will apply asap.
- Dec 18, '12 by cmhk68Hey Everyone - I too am starting MSJ Magelin in May 2013 - if I count right that makes 4 of us on here! I was originally accepted into UC's Accelerated program - then while looking into Xavier (because it took less time than UC) I heard that MSJ was now an MSN program (it wasn't when I first researched schools last year!) AND it completes in 15 mos with minimal waits to start - my final decision was made! I am an older returning student but so excited to get started - should be a crazy, busy 15 months but hopefully worth it in the end!
- Dec 26, '12 by AflemingI was just conditionally accepted to the August 2013 cohort! Anyone else here accepted to this program?
- Jan 9 by NewcareerforCPHello Afleming...I have been accepted into the August 2013 cohort as well. I am nervous and excited! Congrats to you!