Shadyside SON questionsRegister Today!
- by sctigergirl87 Apr 6, '11Hey all, after being down south for several years and being on waiting lists, its nice to be in an area teeming with nursing schools! I really want to go to shadyside SON, and took the PSB and am waiting for my results. I have already taken every gen ed known to man, so all i'll have is clinicals. I'm hoping to be accepted for the fall. I have read some things on here about shadyside's tuition forgiveness, and that it's different from most places? Can anyone give me an idea of how it works? I read that you have to front $10,000...is that true? I definitely don't have that lying around! Any clarification you could give me would be great. Thanks in advance.
- I started in August and I have the tuition forgiveness and basically you have to pay 12,800 total... divided into 6 semesters.
The total schooling costs around 32,000.. and UPMC pays 19,000 and you come up with the rest...
BUT the class that just started this semester (March) was not offered the tuition forgiveness so I don't even know if they still have it..
- Apr 7, '11 by sctigergirl87thanks so much for responding!
oh jeez, well that's cute. So do they expect you to pay all that out of pocket up front? Do they offer enough student loans to even cover it? I'm fine with student loans. They must have really gone up, because other threads say the whole program is like $14,000 or something. I'm thinking mine might be half that if I've finished ALL gen eds and am only taking the clinical portions.
- yeah you pay it over the 6 semesters that you are there! and there are a lot of loans you can do.. they offer fasfa and private loans and stuff which is what everyone that i knew had to do because they didn't qualify for the tuition forgiveness...
I would call and ask the school about the forgiveness and see if they still offer it..
and the tuition basically doubled..and they told us it was for "economic situations".... rriiight!!
- Heres the break down of the payment schedule.. it may vary with what classes you've already taken.. ps. they don't transfer any nursing classes you have taken.. JUST AP I and II (has to be from same school), MICRO, NUTRTION, LOGIC, INTRO TO DIVERSTIY
1st semester: $4774, 2nd semster: $5797, 3rd Semester: $5797, 4th Semester: $6138, 5th Semester $6479, 6th Semester $3069
- Apr 7, '11 by sctigergirl87wow thanks! very detailed and informative. I've taken 2 clinicals before, but knew they wouldnt transfer, so it wasn't that big of a deal. ive finished all those, A&P's, micro, nutrition, logic, and diversity has to be taken at shadyside, so no biggie. But I figure that wil cut my cost a little, maybe in half? who knows.
Wow...doubling due to the economy? them and everyone else!
thanks so much for your responses. i've been freaking out the last 2 days because i thought you had to write them a check for like 10 grand, which my husband and i dont have just lying around! i'm fortunate enough that i can just do school and he works, however i do have a part time position at Presby. They'll help with school but only $3500/year. It's good to know they have loans, i don't have an excessive amt of loans already so i'm not averse to taking out more.
- I added you to my contacts list so if you have annnny more questions just message me and ill answer whatever I can!
- [quote=sctigergirl87;4959235]wow thanks! very detailed and informative. I've taken 2 clinicals before, but knew they wouldnt transfer, so it wasn't that big of a deal. ive finished all those, A&P's, micro, nutrition, logic, and diversity has to be taken at shadyside, so no biggie. But I figure that wil cut my cost a little, maybe in half? who knows.
All nursing classes costs right around $24,000 FYI
- Apr 8, '11 by PghRN30I go to shadysides sister school, St Margaret, which does cost a little bit less. I know up through my class which started in Feb, Tuition forgivness was we are responcible for $5000, and they cover the rest. How that works is it reduces our tuition bill to being 5000 spread over the 6 semesters. So for me my tution bill is About $850 a semster. Then any grants, school loans, scholarships go toward that. That amount is only truely out of pocket if you have no grants, school loans or scholarships. However I do know that they did change the tuition forgivness significantly, as well as raise tuition for our class that is starting in June. From the sounds of it it looks like they changed the tution forgivness to a flat out $8000, and then the student covers the rest, be it by grants, loans, or out of pocket. I know tuition for my class was about $15000, but sounds like it is up to $17000 now. The one big difference is that unlike shadyside, none of the non-nursing classes are included. You do have to take your APs and psychs and everything elsewhere, so that is probably at least part of the reason for the difference in cost.
- Apr 13, '11 by Kimba100FYI,
We just got a letter from SHY SON telling us the tuition went down 1400$/semesterLast edit by Kimba100 on Apr 13, '11