Transition Tips for Psych RN Moving to Pediatric RehabRegister Today!
- by Noah'sRNMom Jan 26, '11Hi! I'm a relatively new nurse, and I have been working in adult psych for 9 months. It is just not for me, and I am currently in school for RN/BSN/MSN. I already have the BSN and I am continuing on in hopes of becoming a family nurse practitioner. I really wanted to get into peds, so I applied to a children's institute that I did clinicals at when I was in school. I just found out today that I got the job! I know that I really want to do this, but I am just so nervous because I feel like it has been forever since I've used any good nursing skills. I also am not sure of the day to day operations of a pediatric rehab. I know I will be working night shift. Can anyone give me any insight/tell me what I can expect to help me calm my nerves!!? Thanks!!
- Jan 27, '11 by Noah'sRNMomAnyone??? I can't ever get anyone to answer my questions lol
- Jan 28, '11 by janfrnThe reason for that may be that people aren't seeing past the title of your thread. They may have the mistaken impression that you're asking about psychiatric nursing in a peds rehab setting (which would have a very narrow target population of members out there - if there are any at all), but you're not. How about if I edit the title of the thread and see if it makes a difference.
- Jan 28, '11 by Noah'sRNMomThank you SO much! I would appreciate it. I haven't been able to seek advice from anyone in my community, so I'm willing to take whatever I can get!
- Jan 30, '11 by jahraNoah'sRNMom, please pm me if you like. I have some thoughts on your question.
I am traveling this weekend, but can get back to you the beginning
of next week...
- Mar 27 by sunnyRN1Noah'sRNMom, unfortunately I am unable to send PM messages since I just signed up for allnurses. I am actually in the exact same position and wondered how your situation turned out. I graduated Dec. '11, and began working in psych approx 7 months ago. I have an interview today for a pediatric rehab PRN position. Although I don't mind my job, I am really concerned about losing my clinical skills and narrowing my future opportunities unless I keep my resume steadily building with clinical positions. ANY advice, feedback, guidance etc you have would be GREATLY appreciated!