University of Portland Applicants for Spring 2015
- 1Nov 18, '13 by hellonewyearHello everyone,
I wanted to start a thread for those applying to the BSN program at UP in the next two months!
A little about me;
I have two terms of prerequisites left; philosophy, religious classes and stats. I'm currently enrolled at PCC. I don't have much faith I'll get in this year with several classes left to finish, but I feel like it will be a good experience for me to apply. I'll also be applying to Linfield as well as a school out of state in the spring if I don't get in. But my heart is really set on UP!
My prerequisite GPA is 3.96, and my cumulative (do to some less than stellar work as a youth) is about a 3.7
I work at OHSU, and currently volunteer in a Neonatal ICU.
I'm working on my essay questions and will submit my application next month.
- 0Feb 24 by YesIwill2017Hi Bronze1,
I too, have my heart set on University of Portland. The other schools I applied to are both OCNE (MHCC and PCC), but I am anxiously waiting to hear back from UP over the next few weeks. I have read the older posts and it seems most people hear back around the first week of March.
My GPA is a 3.96 as well, and I also need to take my world religion classes. Did you apply for the Providence Scholarship? For financial reasons I originally thought the only way I could go to UP would be with the scholarship, but at this point I'm not so sure. Being that the program is much shorter than OCNE it almost seems to be a wash financially. Almost.
For now I'm just crossing my fingers and toes I will get in, and then I will meet with financial aid and see what my options are.
As for your situation with having a few classes to finish, I think it will be ok. I've heard that they understand that students don't want to spend the money for classes that other schools don't require, but to be sure to get them finished before the program begins. Also, when I dropped my application off at Mt Hood the lady told me that applications seem to be on the low side this year. I'm hoping that is true for all the schools and while I realize I might be nuts, maybe it won't be quite as competitive this year. Ha! One can hope. Best of luck to you!
- 0Mar 7 by OscardogQuote from vivalavespagirlViva, congrats to you! I thought I had read something about waitlist position on here, but when I called the university today I was told they do not rank their waitlist and that, should they find they have an opening, they review the waitlisted applicants again. She did mention that there must be at least 100 people on the list. I suppose all I can do is hope for the best!I just found out I was accepted to UP for Spring 2015! Good luck to the rest of you. Oscardog, I think you can call to see what number you are on the wait list. It seems that people have done that in the past.
- 0Mar 8 by jaredmatthewbrownI was accepted into the Spring 15 group. A little surprised to be honest, I guess I just did not think I had a shot given how competitive Nursing Schools Application processes are. I think I read they take somewhere in the range of 80 -100 transfer students on other UP links on this site.
I might have had a better chance getting in as I am a Post-Baccalaureate student with a prior degree from UP. I also lived in Portland for about 10 years so I am pretty familiar with the city and areas if you have any questions feel free to contact me.
- 0Mar 9 by VivaLaVespaGirlCongrats, jaredmatthewbrown! I was also quite surprised when I got the news, but I am hearing some buzz that perhaps there were fewer applicants all around this year. I also have a prior degree and am in grad school for public health so I think that might have helped for UP. But, I have given up trying to understand the acceptance process since it seems like so many qualified candidates are turned away every year. I count myself fortunate. Look forward to meeting you this spring!
- 0Mar 9 by jaredmatthewbrownCongrats to you as well Viva, Yeah I was told the number of applicants has decreased over the last few years, still well in the hundreds but less then before. Yeah the process seems like luck, skill, and witch craft to me, but for now I am in and sooo thankful for it. Now to just focus on finishing my O chem class.... even if I don't need it.... and I really don't like Chem... oh well, I look forward to meeting you this spring as well. Good luck to those on the wait lists!!!
- 0Mar 9 by jellyfeeshHi everyone! I haven't received anything from UP in the mail yet. I'm starting to think that maybe they send denial letters out second, and acceptance/waitlist letters first? Does anyone know? I'd like to be put out of my misery ASAP. I'm kinda freaking out a tiny bit here...haha!