OHSU ABSN 2013 Applicants - Page 3Register Today!
- Jan 4 by northwestboundI applied and sent in my documents this week as well.
My undergrad cumulative gpa was 3.7, prereq is 4.0, I feel that I wrote a very compelling essay- so here's to hoping that the admissions committee thinks I did too.
- Jan 8 by northwestboundI'm wondering- since it's past the application due date, how did you guys handle the smoking pregnant woman question? I debated on how to answer it for quite some time and am unsure if the approach I took is what they were looking for.
- Jan 9 by sugarmagnolia77Hey wroblow, what do you do at OHSU? I also work for OHSU and have been doing research at the west campus since October 2000. Maybe this will help us a little in the admissions process??? With as competitive as the program is, I think it's strange that the program does not accept letters of recommendation and does not conduct interviews! What are your thoughts?
- Jan 11 by wroblowI work in the biochemistry department coordinating two graduate programs and I also do grants and contracts for my department and regenerative medicine. I volunteer as a research assistant on a psych study through the CDRC and have been shadowing a nurse practitioner at the Richmond Clinic as well. Letters of recommendation would have been great and I think they are extremely helpful as you often have amazing candidates who are not good at "promoting" themselves. In fact, I think those are usually the people you WANT in programs. I sit in on meetings for faculty and student recruitment so I've seen this process first hand and can't imagine selecting people without reference letters. I am one of those people who is bad at selling myself on paper. I like to let my actions speak to my character, so my essay was more of a list of what I've done and less of an intriguing life saga, which is why I'm not super hopeful of my chances of getting selected.
I think they are looking for people who have been around the clinical side of healthcare, since it can be daunting and is certainly not everyone's cup of tea. So I guess that working or volunteering at OHSU would give us some advantage, although working/volunteering with another institution would probably be looked at equally.
This is a numbers game really. They have well qualified candidates every year and not enough spaces for all of them. I will be sad if I don't get in, but I also know that everyone who does get in deserves it
- Jan 14 by ecableHi there! I'm Erin, just applied to Acc Bach/Master's for Psych Mental Health for entry in summer '13. Anyone else?I am hoping my essays were compelling enough. I can't help but second guess myself, but we will see what happens!
- Hey Erin, I also applied to the accelerated bachelors/masters for PMHNP. Do you know if they conduct interviews? I read on the website that interviews are next month but that seems so soon after the application deadline. Good luck with everything!
- Jan 14 by ecableHi Hannah - My understanding is that they do conduct interviews around the 2nd week of February. I am not sure if they will call or e-mail to schedule those. I think in previous years they have called. I interview pretty well, so I am hoping that if I get called in for an interview, that will be a chance to shine.What is your background? This will be a major career change for me.
- Hey Erin,
Did you receive anything regarding the status of your application? I submitted mine in late December but haven't heard anything yet. My background is a bachelors degree in psychology. I have worked in a hospital for 4 years doing administrative work. I also have volunteer experience working with children with autism and various behavioral disorders. I also volunteer in the PACU at a hospital. So I don't have any direct mental health or patient care experience but definitely relevant experience. What about you?
- Jan 14 by wroblowhas anyone seen their transcripts show up as received online yet? I keep checking my account and it still shows they weren't received.
- My account also says my transcripts have not yet been received. I'm assuming it just takes them a while to process all of the paperwork.