Walden UniversityRegister Today!
This is a discussion on Walden University in Online Nursing Schools, Traditional Schools, Colleges, Universities ... I wanted to post something in the Walden University forum since it was empty. I have just...by Anaris Dec 30, '11I wanted to post something in the Walden University forum since it was empty. I have just completed the first two MSN courses in leadership at Walden and will begin my third on Jan 3, 2012. So far it has been a great experience and I have nothing but good things to say about the program. It is a lot of work with the reading, posting and assignments, but doable if you stay organized and pay attention to due dates. Anyway, my experience has been very good and I wanted to share it with those who might be considering Walden in the future.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=655015©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 2,670 Views
- Jan 1, '12 by xiginousI finished my MSN through Walden in 2008. Fantastic program, and I am now in the Public Health PhD program there.
When I was in the program 3 of my co-workers were in traditional programs at a local university. I choose Walden over it because of the flexibility. Working night shift I was unable to get to class on their schedule and still get to sleep. I really believe that my classes were tougher, and I received a better education than my friends. Through Walden I had to learn to think and write. It was worth every minute, and every penny that I spent to get the degree. And so far I am loving my PhD program.
- Jan 5, '12 by passionflowerI was considering Walden until my co-worker told me it was at the top tier per price for online schools. Now I'm not sure. Was interested in Bachelors in health communication and Master's in Community Health since I plan to semi-retire off the floor and into community health nursing doing health fairs and seminars. I hope I am making the right decision.
- Jan 9, '12 by BinaxoxoHi Anaris, I am happy to see you had a great experience with Walden. I am looking to apply there. I was a little intimidated by all the work demands, are they doable? I was interested in applying to University of Texas at Arlington and Utica, but it seems I am always going back to Walden. They have great reviews. Any advise? This will be my first time taking online classes.
- Jan 9, '12 by AnarisBinaxoxo,
What I can emphatically state, is that Walden University is a good fit for me personally, and the workload is strenuous but not so much so that I can't get the work done with good planning. You indicated that this would be your first online class and I wondered if you were looking to obtain your BSN or MSN. Before attending Walden I had completed my BSN online from my brick and morter ASN university, so online is not new to me and I have pretty much ironed out the kinks for myself and know how to navigate around the online environment.
The thing with online learning is that you have to stay motivated to do the work because no one is there to prod you along. Also, sometimes just navigating the classroom environment can be tricky. However, Walden's layout is pretty good in my opion (and I've been through Angel and Blackboard). If you are going to be pursuing your BSN and need to take pre-reqs I suggest taking an easier class (an elective maybe) to get a feel for how things work. This would be the ideal scenario, however if you need to dive right in I still think it's possible for some people to hit the ground running and do very well.
The key is to realize that it isn't any easier than traditional classes (in fact there is more actual work) and the readings and tasks are not suggestions (you would be amazed at the number of student's that just don't follow basic directions). Other than that I really do recommend Walden and each class I embark on just reinforces my experiences with the school. Good luck in your endevor. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
- May 10, '12 by ORRN01Anaris~I also would like to thank you for your raving review. I am currently an ADN looking to get my MSN. I have been doing extensive research on many online programs. I started out looking to do an RN-BSN completion online as I work full time and have a family. Oh and my oldest will be off to college in 2013! Yikes! However, I stumbled across Walden and found that they offer an RN-MSN and it almost sounds too good to be true! Seems like such a perfect fit for me. I will say that I am a little scared. My biggest fear is that if I get through the 'bachelor' portion of the program and for some reason cannot continue, I will not have a BSN to show for my work. We never know what life has in store for us. That being said, I know that I will be drivin enough to finish. It's just a BIG step to take and one that I wish I could talk someone into to taking with me!
I am planning on following the leadership and management route. If you have any further advice for a motivated, yet scared, potential student, I would gladly take it :spin: