Foreign-educated, California-licensed RN wants to work in OK

  1. Hi all,

    I am a foreign-educated RN, about to take my boards and hoping to find some answers here. I love Oklahoma and have worked for 3 years in OK as a CNA/CMA and about to take my RN boards now. Because of the ordeal we have to go through as foreign-educated nurses to register for licensure in Oklahoma, we choose to register in other states,mostly California. Therefore, I'll be obtaining my license (hopefully), from California. I do not want to leave Oklahoma though especially because I've got a 16-month old son and he's lived all his life () here. So my question is thus: Is there any place in OK that would hire an RN with an out-of-state license? Or what would I have to do to get Oklahoma licensure as a foreign-educated nurse?

    Thanks for all your help
  2. Visit FAITHFULRN01 profile page

    About FAITHFULRN01

    Joined: Jul '09; Posts: 23; Likes: 3


  3. by   Silverdragon102
    You will need to apply for a state licence and meet requirements, the state may require you to meet their requirements for International trained which may involve CES from CGFNS. I would suggest you check out the state website and even contact them to see what requirements you will have to meet to endorse your license
  4. by   elkpark
    The only other option would be to work for the federal government -- a VA hospital, a military base, or something else federal. The federal government only requires that you have a license in a (any) US state, not necessarily the state in which you and the job are physically located. Other than that, you will have to have an OK nursing license to be able to work as a nurse in OK.