Could someone walk me through the protocol/process for checking peg tube placement and subsequently administering meds through the tube? I did this once in Nursing 1, but it's been a while and now I can't remember the exact order/details! Help! Thanks!
Apr 24, '10
1) check placement always and make sure the head of the bed is no lower than 30 degrees
2) check for residual 150cc or more call Doctor and with hold for at least one to two hours
3) waht ever you take out put back in.
4) use 60cc syringe to do a bolus and make sure that the knob is turned off to the patient, (dont want it fly up at you if they cough)
5) add formula keeping the syringe full until perscribed amount, then flush with 30 to 60 ml of water. (make sure you open tube back up)
same for Medications, measure and add, document and sign,
If they are on continuous its basically the same except calculate flow rate if not on orders and check every 4 hours for continuous gastrostomy tube feeding. Asses Pt every hour for tolerance while awake, flush to clear tube with 1 to 2 OZ. I hope this helps if not sorry. I just learned this myself, I know if they are on limited fluids you have to divide the fluids up between flushing and meds.
Last edit by LaryssaKHD on Apr 24, '10
: Reason: oopps forgot something!!