hi, classof2009, and welcome to allnurses!
you will get a better response to these kinds of questions if you post them in one of these student forums:
you are on step #3 of the nursing process of your care plan:
- assessment (collect data from medical record, do a physical assessment of the patient, look up information about your patient's medical diseases/conditions)
- determination of the patient's problem(s)/nursing diagnosis (make a list of the abnormal assessment data, match your abnormal assessment data to likely nursing diagnoses, decide on the nursing diagnosis to use)
- planning (write measurable goals/outcomes and nursing interventions)
- implementation (initiate the care plan)
- evaluation (determine if goals/outcomes have been met)
you should have completed steps #1 and #2 before getting to this point. all outcomes and nursing interventions are based upon the abnormal data (or the list of signs and symptoms) that you should have developed in step #2 of the nursing process. these symptoms come out of your assessment activities. outcomes are the predicted results of our independent nursing actions. independent nursing actions are those things that a nurse can prescribe, or order, for a patient that do not require a physician order. in other words, outcomes are linked to your nursing interventions
. there is a discussion on how to write goals/outcomes on post #157 of this thread: http://allnurses.com/forums/f50/care...eb-121128.html
so, if your nursing diagnostic statement is acute pain related to inflammation due to rheumatoid arthritis as evidenced by (signs and symptoms of the pain go here)
, then your nursing interventions are aimed at the signs and symptoms of the pain. your outcomes focus on the expected results you hope to see as a result of those interventions.
for more information on care planning see these threads on the nursing student forums:
- http://allnurses.com/forums/f205/des...ns-170689.html - desperately need help with careplans (in nursing student assistance forum) - post #109 has the list of ackley/ladwig links to nursing diagnosis pages - psychosocial diagnoses are listed on post #145; wellness diagnoses are listed on post #84; an explanation of the difference between outcomes and goals on post #75
- http://allnurses.com/forums/f50/care...-121128-7.html - careplans help please! (with the r\t and aeb) (in general nursing student discussion forum) - how to write long term goals is discussed on post #157