Nursing support socks.Register Today!
- by Bonny619 May 30, '06I'm a first year student and my legs have been hurting during our 12 hour clinicals.
What do you suggest? The knee socks? The full on panty hose?
Any advice would be appreciated.
- 13,062 Views
- May 30, '06 by KatnipI read that the knee socks and thigh highs aren't great because the band around the leg that holds them up causes too much constriction in the long run.
I've always worn full pantyhose when I wear them. JC Penney had really good support hose. Some support hose just aren't that supportive.
- May 30, '06 by Bonny619That's exactly what my mom said, who's a nurse. Do I believe her? Noooo.
I just hate the idea of wearing panty hose under scrubs!
- May 30, '06 by KatnipI hate it too. But I'd rather reduce the pain.
Have you tried different shoes? The show can make a big difference as well.
- May 30, '06 by ahsittersTry some better running shoes and leg stretchesumpiron: when you have time though out your shift. my legs hurt when i first started too but your legs strenghthen and your body will get used to being on your feet all day. give it time. I don't wear support hose but alot of nurses i work with that have varicose veins do and they say it helps. Best of luck on your clinicals.
- May 30, '06 by nursingstudent2b2How does panty hose prevent pain? Are you talking about regular old-fashioned panty hose?? Or something specific for nurses. Starting nursing school just this fall - so please forgive my ignorance!!
- May 30, '06 by WOLFEI agree with what ahsitters said about trying different shoes...it may help. I also know some nurses that wear the support pantyhose under the scrubs.
- May 31, '06 by Bonny619Thanks everyone, i'll continue with building up my leg strength. Maybe i'll try different shoes next semester.
nursingstudent2b2, the support stockings help with circulation.
- May 31, '06 by cat-catSupport pantyhose do a good work. I wear them under white pants. But we have open toed shoes here. My mom, who is a nurse, recommends white cotton socks over pantyhose. This gives a more modest look than nylon feet.
- May 31, '06 by ahsitters[QUOTE][Support pantyhose do a good work. I wear them under white pants. But we have open toed shoes here. My mom, who is a nurse, recommends white cotton socks over pantyhose. This gives a more modest look than nylon feet.
You are lucky! We are not covered by health disability if we injure our feet while wearing open toed or clog style shoes. And clogs are sooooo comfy!