criminal record 10 years ago results in RN app denial. help???Register Today!
This is a discussion on criminal record 10 years ago results in RN app denial. help??? in Nursing Licensure With A Criminal History, part of Nursing Career Advice ... Hi everyone, I just signed up for this site because I desperately need advice. I had a felony...by chromie911 Sep 21, '11Hi everyone, I just signed up for this site because I desperately need advice. I had a felony charge when I was 21. I am now 31 years old. I completed my probation, my community service, paid all my fines, even got the felony reduced to a misdemeanor. All this was done by the time I was 22. I obtained my LVN license when I was 25, and have been working as an LVN ever since.
Now here is my problem. I recently graduated from RN school this past June, and a few days ago received a letter denying my RN application. Of course I will be appealing this denial. After reading what others are going through/have gone through, looks like I will be hiring an attorney. But I am frustrated, sad, and stressed all the same time because I have been working as an LVN for almost 6 years! That charge is the only thing on my record, and was a decade ago. I am a completely different person. I feel like when I am 40, it'll be like... "Oh, we can't hire you because of what you did 20 years ago." Any input would be very much appreciated.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=619841©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,871 Views
- Sep 23, '11 by MeriwhenI think hiring an attorney is the best thing you can do for yourself right now. Don't attempt to deal with the BON without one because the BON is NOT your friend. Their priority is not you but the public.
Best of luck.
- Nov 5, '11 by DevildogHire an attorney. I am assuming that your application is perfect, many people try to not be truthful then their application is auto denied due to falsification.
Every state is different. In florida they are very tough. Give it your best shot with an attorney.
- Nov 5, '11 by carrie_cDid you tell the truth on your application? If not and they denied you because of that, it is going to be very hard to get them to approve you now. Good luck.
- Nov 6, '11 by NeedchangeofPaceSo how did you get your LVN license in the first place, if you had a record? Were you upfront with the BON when you applied for your LVN?
- Nov 10, '11 by PhoenixTechSometimes if it's only 1 conviction, they'll want you to expunge it first if it is indeed expungable. Try that or @ least start the process. Frankly you should've taken care of this a long time ago if it is 'erasable'.
Yes people, I know that it could never really be erased from the BON's view & that they'll still see it, it's just a different way to say expun.
- Nov 12, '11 by ColleenRN2BQuote from NeedchangeofPaceI kind of wondered that myself.So how did you get your LVN license in the first place, if you had a record? Were you upfront with the BON when you applied for your LVN?