I have made it through 2/3 of the interview process for a part time position, and have a peer interview scheduled for next week. After speaking with my spouse, we've kind of decided that it would be best to stay with my current employer. I'm not sure what to do from here. Should I call and cancel the peer interview? Go through with it and wait until they extend an offer before declining? Of course I'm not so confident to assume that they will decide I'm the best candidate, but I've never had the luxury of searching for a new job while employed and it's a bit nerve wracking from a professional etiquette standpoint. The new position would be essentially the same pay, but about twice the commute and half the hours.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Mar 15, '12
If you're sure you don't want the job, call and cancel now - there's no point in them leaving you in the potential candidate mix. Be polite and brief, just state simply that you've decided after further reflection to remain in your current position. Don't go into any negatives such as the commute -- you never know what the future holds. And remember to thank them for the opportunity.