US nurses moving/moved to Canada - page 5

I have noticed reading over this forum that there are quite a few nurses here that have moved to Canada from the US, or are in the process. I am wondering, for those like me who are still trying to get there, what part of the... Read More

  1. 0
    Quote from nurse_clown
    there's nothing harsh about that. fiona and i worked that out. so comments about this aren't necessary. but thanx for your input regardless....
    Well, I guess I've been dismissed and my opinion holds no worth. Oh well.

    BTW, Fiona, you have my support.

    Get the hottest topics every week!

    Subscribe to our free Nursing Insights newsletter.

  2. 0
    Quote from markjrn
    Well, I guess I've been dismissed and my opinion holds no worth. Oh well.

    BTW, Fiona, you have my support.
    like i said in my last post. fiona and i worked it out. she has my support also.
  3. 0
    Quote from nurse_ange1
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm a US citizen who did all of my schooling in Ontario, I graduated with a BScN in nursing ( and I took the CRNE (i.e. rn exam here) and then had to apply for a work permit ONCE I had a job offer. Luckily for me I lived in a border city so I could do everything in person vs. snailmail.... Below is some factual information that I hope helps.
    1) There is no longer RN associate degrees available in Canada in any province... as of Jan 2005 anyone wanting to be an RN has to have a bachelors in nurses...In canada, the liscesning is done by a National organization. There are some associate programs that have just finished, and they will be allowed to write, but there is no more intake into these programs. However, if you have many years of experience you MAY be able to write the exam, you would have to talk to the CNO (College of Nurses of Ontario). RPN (simular to LPN) is a 2 year associates degree, and medication administration is now part of the course. However, you will find that more and more hospitals prefer to have BScN nurses and have no need for LPNS/RPNs except in areas such as phych and Long term. CNA's are not equivilent to PSW's... PSW go to school for one year to be able to assist thenurse in personal care... there is no vitals or medication involved. If you have a certificate for CNA, you will find it isn't equivilent to any type of worker here. Sorry.
    2) You have to have permission to write the exam if you are not a Permanent/Citizen or not on a student visa. Once you write the exam (3 months for everyone for results) you can then search for jobs... once you have a job offer you can then and only then apply for a work visa under NAFTA to move to Canada to work. There is yearly immigration garbage you have to do. Then once you have the job offer, & the workpermit you can then apply for you LIcsence. There is a temporary one for 6 months if all of your ducks aren't in order and/or your results aren't back, and then you get a permanent liscense which EXPIRES when your work visa expires. As it expires you can reapply as you get more work visas
    3) Once you have all of these things, if you want of fully immigrate to canada, then you apply for permanant status ($1500 and 3-6 months).

    ...Best of luck
    Thank you for this,

    It looks to me now that I had better be prepared for it to take another year upon completion of my RN program before I can work in Canada. So, since I will have that extra year I think I will try to work on classes towards the post master's certificate in FNP, (hoping to complete that in Canada in a very part time pace while working as an RN). My fingers are so crossed in this.


Nursing Jobs in every specialty and state. Visit today and Create Job Alerts, Manage Your Resume, and Apply for Jobs.

A Big Thank You To Our Sponsors