Advice Needed! Wound Care VS. IV Insertion?Register Today!
- by DanielleDorothy Jul 16, '12I am a new RPN in Ontario and my goal is to obtain a job in a hospital setting. I have recently completed levels 1,2 and 3 of basic wound care with the Canadian Association of Wound Care. My question is, do you think I should continue on and take level 4 (which is a online year course) and this will give me my advanced wound care, or do you think since I already have some wound care experience and credentials that I should take the IV Insertion and Maintenance program? What do you think would benefit me more in obtaining a job in a hospital?
- Jul 16, '12 by Fiona59I'm not in Ontario, but the hospitals in my area provide the IV start education. You have to write the written exam and do three supervised starts to be certified. It's a half day course that the employer provides.
I've heard it's hard to find work in Ontario, so I really don't know what to tell you.
- Jul 16, '12 by loriangel14Unless your goal is to specialize in would care I wouldn't take the level 4 course.What area of the hospital are you aiming for? Most employers will provide the IV training at no cost.If you are looking at working on a unit with a lot of dressings that is fine but not all areas require advanced would care skills.I work in a relatively small hospital and we have an RN that is the wound care specialist.
- Jul 16, '12 by DanielleDorothyThanks so much for the help, I think that I am going to take the wound care course because it is something I would like to specialize in and that really enjoy doing it. You guys helped a lot!
- Jul 16, '12 by EnovelWith a few exceptions, most hospitals in the GTA do not allow RPN to start IV (Trillium is one of the exceptions). A level 4 wound care education seems like a good choice; it will make your Resume stands out.
- Jul 18, '12 by torontonursingrocksSince continued education is so important to nurses, why not take it for the fun of it right? You said you enjoy wound care and it will only help add to your wealth of knowledge!