What am i doing with my life? - page 2
Here's my story. I'm 36, work in the printing field, make plates and do scanning, it sucks, so in 1998 i decide to go back to school. I went for a A.S. in PC and Internet Programming...it took me 4... Read More
0Oct 6, '03 by apexsw20trdsame boat as you are brother.
i come from an accounting back ground with a nice fat check every motnh but i am not satisfied with what i do . i spend about8-10 hours per day in front of this damn computer and punch in numbers but this is not what i want. i see myself helping people and when my tiem comes looking back to see that i made a difference in someone life and mine.
i am about to leave a good paying job for about 3 years of school and $7 per hour part time jobs. but i know in teh end it will be the best career move i ever made. i wil be attending a community college for the ADN Rn program then get my BSN.
i am scared as HeLL but i have support from my wonderful girlfriend who by the way will be switching over to the nursing career with me and hopefully we will be ok.
yesterday my girl and i was at the beach in honolulu by the diamond head look out and stared out to the horizon and i asked if we will be ok with what we will be starting hard route toward a nursing education and we both agreed to help eachother in everyway we can. bring a tear to my eyes but that is how i will survive through teh 3-4 years of school. if its not for her i dont think i can do it.
good luck bro and dont give up. i like to think abou the good things that will come out of this.
- Click Here To Get More Topics Like This! Get the hottest topics and toons in your inbox.
0Oct 9, '03 by Ned the RedI've been lurking these boards for a few days and I see more and more people like me who are thinking of switching careers. In my case - I'm 51 and starting the spring semester to get A&P out of the way. Hope to start for an ADN in the spring of '05. So, I'll be 55 when I finally get out. But, I'm pumped about it all and ready to go. My wife came up with the idea (she's an RN) and convinced me by pointing out that:
1) There will be a nursing shortage for a LONG time to come.
2) There are so many areas of nursing that, if I want, I can go for some sort of desk job and never see a patient (not my plan, by the way).
3) With a BS in business I'll have the credentials to move into the business side (again, not my plan).
4) I'm a guy. And, for better or worse, it seems that in some ways men do better than women as far as promotions and pay.
5) Even if I decide to stay in my current career (once more, not the plan) I'll always be able to find a job as an RN.
Went to an orientation the other night expecting to be the line old guy in a crowd of younger females and was surprised to see that out of 30 there were almost 10 men. And one of the looked like he was about my age.
My wife tells me this will be the toughest thing I've ever done but I'm going to give it my best. You should too.
And, should I change my screen name from Ned the Red to something like Gramps?