New Grad: Need Help with Writing Resume and Cover Letter
Dear Nurse Beth, I'm a new grad RN and I'm looking for a resume and cover letter writing service specialized in nursing. Could you recommend one to me?
Congrats, you graduated nursing school! What a huge and happy accomplishment.
While I do not know of a nursing resume service, there are some important guidelines for successful resumes and cover letters.
Here are some key articles written here on allnurses
- Creating a Resume with 1 yr experience (I know you are a new grad, but the principles apply)
- Give Me a Chance, I'm a New Grad
- How to Land a Job as a New Grad
- Revamp Your Resume
- Landing That First Elusive Nursing Job
Limit your cover letter to one page, with three to five or six short paragraphs, in a pleasing layout with ample white space. White space provides contrast to dense text and gives your reader bite-size information a little at a time with a visual and mental break in between. Readers are more likely to leave their eyes on a document that provides visual respite.
Use keywords from the job description. Application-tracking software (ATS) is programmed to pick up the keywords, skills, and experience for the job.
- Avoid cliches and buzzwords (detail-oriented, team player)
- Cover letters and resumes must be error-free. Grammatical errors are seen as an indicator of careless performance
- Set yourself apart. Do this by making yourself memorable; give an example that shows what a good fit you’ll be.. Remember- words tell, stories sell
- Have a beginning (reference the position; if you know someone in the organization, mention it here) middle (show how you're a good fit), and an end (positive with call-to-action or next step)
- Do not use "To Whom it May Concern". Find out the name of the hiring manager
- Close with a call to action
You must also start preparing for your interviews because your well-written and focused resume is going to land you interviews
- Uncomfortable Interview Questions
- How to Answer "What's Your Greatest Weakness and What NOT to Say"
- How to Answer "Tell Us About Yourself"
Hope this helps and good luck!
Last edit by Nurse Beth on Jul 18
About Nurse Beth, MSN, RN
Nurse Beth has '20+' year(s) of experience and specializes in 'Med Surg, Tele, ICU, Ortho'. From 'Bakersfield, CA'; Joined Mar '07; Posts: 1,074; Likes: 3,297.