Healthcare Professionals in RecoveryRegister Today!
- by RecoveringRN64 Apr 1, '12I am a nurse that got a DUI. We have very specific issues that face us and all medical professionals. We are expected to have this really high code of ethics and remain trusted servants of the public we serve but we are human. Many of us are in recovery and even more of us are struggling with finding "safe" people to come clean. We have everything to lose, our professional licenses and careers as well as our lives depend upon recovery.
I know there are others like me out there.
~CLast edit by sirI on Apr 1, '12
- Apr 1, '12 by VivaLasViejasHello, and WELCOME to Allnurses!! We're glad you're here!
I've never had a DUI, but only by the grace of God, because I used to drive drunk pretty often. That's why I can't be too judgmental toward others who do get caught......besides, there are plenty of other people out there who'll do the job for both of us. But you know, the last time I checked, NOBODY walks on water---we are all human, and humans make mistakes.
That said, I hope you'll find what you're looking for here, and that we can help. I myself am an alcoholic with 20 years and 3 months' sobriety under my belt, yet I had an emotional crisis only weeks ago that almost tipped me right off the wagon.....believe me, I understand where you're coming from. And so do many others here. You are most definitely NOT alone.
- Apr 2, '12 by BostonTerrierLoverRNWelcome to the Allnurses Family!!!! You don't have a "unique" problem, and are not alone!!
I wish you a successful, graceful, and fulfilling recovery!!!!!!
"All of the best journeys man ever took started with one step!" -Someone smarter than me.
Put your recovery before everything!!!! Your God, Your Spouse, Your Family, Your Job, Your Income, Your Home, Your Friends, Your Pets, Your Dreams and Wishes, Your Aspirations!!!!!!
. . . . Because without Recovery, your just going to loose it all anyway!!!!!
You can do this, you have already made that first step, . . .keep facing forward. If you fall on your face, at least your moving forward. Dust off, and keep going. You Can't do it alone, seek help both professional and peer moral support-your worth it!!!!Last edit by BostonTerrierLoverRN on Apr 2, '12 : Reason: proofread too late.
- Apr 2, '12 by ncanWelcome! I wholeheartedly understand your recovery, I have also been charged with DUI as a nurse, and I completely understand the day to day struggle, as well as the need to find someone to understand what it is you are going through. Please feel free to PM me if there is anything else I can offer!
Sometimes a little vent is all it takes to make the world right again.
Good luck and welcome!
- Apr 2, '12 by MeriwhenQuote from RecoveringRN64Oh, there's tons...and not only are they here, you'll find them at Caduceus meetings. And of course, in 12-step too. The support is out there...sometimes you may have to reach out first to find it--it doesn't always come to you.I know there are others like me out there.
Best of luck with your legal issues and in your recovery.