good book- Jackstem??Register Today!
- by TXRN2 Feb 15just finished reading "In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts:Close Encounters with Addiction" by Gabor Mate' MD. i am wondering in particular if our friend Jackstem had read this book- & if so, his thoughts on the book. it's a very informative book about addiction, it's causes, treatment, etc. Brings to light how useless the "War on Drugs" is, what a waste of money....we need places like this Portland Hotel System in the US- would be an outstanding place to work!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=815719©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- Feb 16 by HunnieBadgerIt's a very good read IMO...
- Mar 2 by jackstemTXRN2,
I have't read the book. It sounds interesting. Was there anything in the book that stands out from everything else? I'll pick up a copy.
Thanks for the recommendation!
- Mar 3 by TXRN2the book presents a lot of causative factors for addictions- you may already know these. but it shares about a way they have in canada for supporting rather than treating hard-core drug addicts. i think you'll find it most interesting. i knew you'd stop by here sooner or later!! how are ya??
- Mar 3 by jackstemI'm doing well, thanks! I started a new job as an addictions counselor and am enjoying the job immensely. I'm the counselor for the suboxone intensive outpatient program. After a detox period they come to my group for 10 days for education, group counseling, and continued monitoring of their response to suboxone before moving on to the intensive outpatient program. Once they complete IOP they begin a 52 week aftercare program where they are tapered of suboxone.
The job keeps me busy which is why I haven't been on here posting (although I do read posts pretty regularly). How's things in Texas?
- Mar 3 by TXRN2from what i know about you, you are an excellent candidate for that job!! things were just about awesome for me until week before last when my life absolutely went topsy turvy with elderly mother getting really sick & hubby having an accident & being injured on the same day!! HaHa!! should have known everything was just too good!! all will eventually get back on track- i am ok- blessed with many wonderful friends, family to help out, support. building more character, i guess. get the book & read it when you can- i think you'll find it interesting, esp with the job you have now. good to hear from you- i feel like we're friends!! take care!!
- Mar 3 by jackstemWe ARE friends!!! And thanks for your kind words.
I know what you mean about your mom getting sick (let alone your spouse as well). My dad died last January after open heart surgery. He lived three months after a complication that couldn't be repaired. I was most fortunate to be clean and sober and able to care for him the last three months of his life. Hope your mom and husband recover quickly.