Changing NP Scope of Practice

  1. 0
    Just was curious how a state changes the scope of practice for NP's ... is it just the state legislature who would decide and pass a bill? Then I guess the BON would change their act accordingly. Anyone know how to keep tabs on which states are currently discussing changes? Or how to spur change in a terrible state for NP and PA practice? I am thinking about writing a letter to every state politician I can find.

    Get the hottest topics every week!

    Subscribe to our free Nursing Insights newsletter.

  2. 2 Comments...

  3. 0
    Getting involved in one of the NP associations is a very good place to start. The ones I'm familiar with have an organized legislative group, and they are always looking for volunteer members to help.
  4. 0
    It is dependent on the state. Generally a bill would have to be introduced into the legislature and approved for a change to occur. The BON or any lobbying group (including the AMA) can lobby (AKA ask) a state representative to introduce a bill to change the current law. An individual citizen could even write a letter to a representative requesting a change, although that would be significantly less effective.

    The best way that you, as an individual, can lobby for change is to join a professional group that supports your view of how things should be. You can also donate time and money to said groups.

Nursing Jobs in every specialty and state. Visit today and Create Job Alerts, Manage Your Resume, and Apply for Jobs.

A Big Thank You To Our Sponsors