Will I ever get into a nursing program? GPA is haunting me :-(Register Today!
- by amyleadon Oct 25, '10This is for anyone that has gotten accepted into the WSSU ABSN program. I need to know if I have a shot of getting into this program. As of now this is where I stand:
I have a Bachelors from NCCU Business with gpa around 2.4. I know the minimum is 2.6, but the website states "they have the right to evaluate other criteria". In addition to min requirments, I am considering volunteering for a year as a CNA I, or perhaps writing a strong essay on why I really and truly deserve a second chance. I am 30 years old, married with 2 children. Days of playing games and wasting money are looong gone for me. I honestly cannot stop thinking about this and I'm scared that I may never get into a nursing program.
Between August 2010-December 2011 I will have the following general education course completed with B or higher:
A &P II
In 2 weeks I will have completed my CNA I class and start working part time/per diem work.
I also am CPR/AED certified.
What are my chances of getting into the ABSN program at WSSU??
I want to start Spring for Fall 2012.
- Nov 16, '10 by km60155Not trying to bust your bubble, but with a GPA below the minimum requirements, I would evaluate secondary options. CNA experience is okay, but if you want to show that you can handle the ABSN program, you need to make A's in your prereqs, not B's. Most students find that the gen ed prereqs are much easier than the nursing courses, and A's are your best chance to show that you are serious about coming back to school.
- Nov 28, '10 by RevolutioN2013This is why I'm taking one course per semester while working on my pre-reqs. God if I could go back and take a do-over for college LOL! My cum gpa for my BS from ASU '92 is 2.92. Ugh. So every class I'm taking now I'm SUPER-anal about making an A. So far I have an A in psychology and statistics. I'll be taking A&P I this January and I think I can make an A in it...made an A in it 20 years ago at ASU but unfortunately the coursework was too old to xfer. Good luck to you! I'm in your same boat with the less than desirable gpa...
- Jan 10, '11 by CarolinaGirl1112What you think about, you bring about. Think about being accepted!
Also, I feel your pain on the whole GPA thing, although mine is my GPA from high school. I think it's a 2.3 or 2.5. I goofed off and didn't do homework...basically, I was an idiot.
Now that I'm almost 30, I'm ready to work hard and see what I can do!
- Jan 30, '11 by MotivatedOneNot trying to burst your bubble. But I applied for the ABSN program at WSSU and with my 2.89 undergrad GPA and 3.2-3.4 Science pre-req GPA, and wasn't accepted. More and more people are going back to school for a second degree in nursing so the ABSN programs are becoming more competitive. I'd try a few local community colleges if I were you. At least you'd have a back up if you're not accepted.