Duke ABSN Spring 2011 - Page 3Register Today!
- May 22, '10 by ncemtWow, thank you so much for all of that information! I attended a couple of their info sessions a year or two ago when I was living on campus but unfortunately I don't remember too much specific information about admissions, numbers of applicants interviewed/accepted etc. (not that it would be terribly relevent now since the school didn't even have "tracks" back then, for example, and all of the numbers would be out-of-date). I definitely remember my overall impression was that it was an excellent school, and I thought the student panel was a key part of that...not too many schools are willing to give you access to current students, and I think the fact that they are happy to do so says a lot about the quality of the program. Now I want to go there even more...ah, stress...
- May 23, '10 by glassprnWow! Thanks a lot for great info!!
I'm really excited and anxious at the same time...=)
My summer classes start tomorrow...Whew....Break is gone so fast...
Have great weekends!
- May 23, '10 by Lauren4268Wow, Sandy! Thanks soooo much for all the great info! I'm really happy and scared at the same time about the news of the essay weighing so much! Its good to hear I have the opportunity to make up for not-so-perfect grades, but at the same time makes me nervous about writing it! Sounds like it needs to be some of my best writing! haha I hope to get some of it knocked out this week before summer school starts. I'm hoping to get my app turned in before june 15 so I can hopefully know early about my interview =) I'm still not sure whether I will be able to attend or have to do a phone interview. Good luck to everyone! It will definitely be fun to keep each other company throughout this process =)
- May 23, '10 by SandyHLauren-
I hear ya about this essay! I am STRESSED! LOL!
I have started over like 5 times.....written like 6 pages and it's all mumble jumble!!
I don't know if I should be serious or take a more creative approach?
The last thing I want to do is bore them to death!
So much riding on the story of me. haha!!
- Jun 1, '10 by Lauren4268I'm with you on the serious or creative approach. I want them to see I'm well spoken and a good student, but also not a bore-fest! lol I just started summer school today, so I'm thinking I want to get this essay done asap so I can just focus on my classes! The only hard thing about applying to mulitple places for me is the letters of reference. I feel bad asking people for more than one, but I don't have a lot of people to choose from! haha
What did you think of the Duke campus when you went? I've heard that the campus is nice, but Durham is not so much. One of the nurses I work with worked at Duke and reccomended living more towards Chapel Hill or Raleigh, as Durham doesn't have the greatest neighborhoods. Did you get this vibe at all?
- Jun 1, '10 by carolinapoohI lived in a very nice neighborhood in Durham; I'm actually from NC - it's fine - you have to be selective and believe me, there's parts of Chapel Hill I wouldn't walk alone in after dark (oh, and you'll pay about $200 more a month rent in CH as well for less apartment and twice the traffic) - anything over near Rosemary Street in CH (where the rent is cheaper) is bad news, believe me....
And if you live on the Raleigh side, you have to contend with I40 rush hour - and take it from someone who lived in RTP for seven years and whose sister has lived there for the last thirty (since 1981, actually - so 30 next year) - you don't want to deal with I40/440 at 0700 inbound to RTP/Durham in the morning. Ever.
Durham is fine. It's sixteen months of your life. I lived seven miles from campus for seven years in a huge house and never had a problem. None of the folks I went to school with at Duke from 2006-2007 had a problem either. Just exercise some common sense and you'll be fine.
(It really pains me when I hear Durham getting the bad press - believe me, Raleigh's just as bad in places, and Carrboro's no gem either.)
- Jun 4, '10 by mass234Hi all!
I'm also thinking of applying to Duke's ABSN program for Spring 2011. However, I'm not sure if it would be wiser to wait until the Fall 2011 application deadline to apply, because as of July I will only have completed a little more than half of the pre-req's. Does anyone have any idea how many pre-req's should be completed by the time of application? The only two I would not have completed would be Sociology, or English Comp, although I would also not have finished the recommended Nutrition and Growth and Development either.
Also, does anyone have a timeline of when decisions would be made? Because I might have some more pre-req's done by August. I'm wondering if they could be seen by then by the admissions committee.
Either way, I'm looking forward to applying to this program- either in the Spring or Fall! It looks like a very reputable program in a great area.
Looking forward to hearing from you all!
- Jun 5, '10 by Lauren4268For Fall, the dealing is July 1, and then they start doing interviews 2 weeks after that for three Fridays in late July/early august, and then a decision is made around the middle of August. My guess would be that you could note on your application that those classes would be done by August, but the grades themselves would not be considered. From what I've read and heard, I dont think not having those few classes done would hinder your chances, as long as you have the minimum GPA.
- Jun 5, '10 by SandyHHey guys-
Hope everyone is doing well!!
I thought the Duke campus was just great! I felt totally safe there! And it's beautiful too! Almost like a dream...maybe cause I never thought I'd be applying to Duke! I am not that familiar with Durham (I live in Raleigh), but I've heard its like any other place...you have your good and you have your bad. I know a lot of people that just love Durham! I'm sure you will have no trouble finding a nice place there at a pretty reasonable cost. How's your statement going? I'm trying for a complete draft today....I have like 10 pieces I'm gonna try and work together! Here's crossing my fingers! LOL!
Welcome! I think you should go for it for the Spring! If you think you can get all the prerequisites done by December...then why wait! The application actually has an area where you can give them info on the classes you are planning on taking prior to matriculation. A pretty large amount of people apply before they finish the prereqs. With that being said....don't overdo it....A lot of the science classes can be difficult and the last thing you want to do is get bad grades! For A&P, as well as Micro, you have to have a minimum grade of B to get into the program. All the other prereqs require a minimum of C. Hope this helps!