Duke ABSN 2012
- 0Apr 22, '11 by hmguncHey everyone!
I was wondering if there was anyone out there applying to Duke's ABSN program for the spring or fall class in 2012. I'm going to apply, but can't decide if I should apply for the spring or the fall. If I apply for the Spring class- I will still have 3 prereqs to finish (micro, soc, and stat) which I can finish before the program starts. Is it crazy to apply to Duke with 3 outstanding prereqs? Should I wait until December and apply for Fall 2012 instead? At that time I will be currently taking the last of the prereqs. Any advice would be helpful! Especially if there's anyone who has gotten into Duke with 3 prereqs to go...
- 0Apr 23, '11 by ArkansasRunnerWhy wouldn't you apply? The worst case is that you go through the process and don't get accepted. Then you just apply for the next cohort, and they'll probably keep at least some of your application on file to save you some hassle. Plus the experience of applying and interviewing will only help you the next time around.
Good luck! I start at Duke in August- so excited!
- 0May 7, '11 by bmichellejoynerHey! I'm applying to the Spring 2012 ABSN cohort at Duke. I'm super excited!! Aaand, also super nervous.
Do you mind if I ask what your background is like? Or anyone else who's on this thread, for that matter? I'm trying to get a feel for what I'm up against, ha.
A bit of info about me:
I'm Michelle. ("Hi!") I graduated in 2009 with a BS in Sociology and I finally found a job working in counseling last February. But, go figure, I've since realized that I'd much rather be a nurse than a therapist. So, I've been spending the past few months completing my prereqs. My undergrad GPA wasn't super-strong (3.27), but I have all As in my prereqs, with the exception of a B+ in stats from undergrad (and I'm thinking about retaking that one). Haven't taken the GRE yet, but have it scheduled for the end of May. It's so crazy to think that it's almost time to submit my application... It feels like I've been waiting YEARS!
I don't think it would be crazy to apply with 3 prereqs left. The only reason I could possibly think of to wait would be if you needed the grades to compensate for a lower undergrad GPA. I think it should be fine. And good luck! Where else are you thinking of applying?
- 0May 8, '11 by hmguncHi Michelle!
I'm glad there's someone else on here who's applying at the same time for the Spring 2012 class! I don't mind telling you about my background at all. I graduated from UNC in 2007 with a 3.85 GPA. My major was elementary education. I started teaching straight out of college and have taught fifth grade for two years and fourth grade for two years. I recently started volunteering at Rex hospital, and I'm in the process of getting CNA certified and finishing up my prerequisite classes. I have As in the prereqs I have taken so far, but I still need to take several (which I will hopefully get As in as well). When I submit my application I'll be currently finishing Stat and A&P II at the end of the summer session, and I'm planning to take a basic Sociology class and Micro in the fall. I will not have take Growth and Development and Nutrition by the time the program starts so I don't know if that will hurt my application or not. If I don't get into the spring cohort I'm planning on applying again for the fall.
I'm also applying to UNC and maybe Winston Salem state, but I'm not sure about that one. I really want to go to Duke. I'm hoping I'll get in at least the second time I apply...Where else are you applying?
- 0May 8, '11 by bmichellejoynerOriginally I was looking at ABSN programs and also the direct entry master's programs that some schools offer, but as the months have gone by I've decided that I'd rather work as a nurse for a while before picking a specialty. I don't want to get too ahead of myself! So, that said, I'm applying to Duke (#1 choice for me too!), ETSU (I'm a TN resident, technically), Columbia, Northern Arizona, and Southern Maine. They're definitely spread out all over the place. I live in Oregon right now and I'm pretty open to moving wherever. I tried to pick schools with strong programs, but that are also reasonable options AND that are located in places I wouldn't mind living and possibly working after school is over. Are you from NC? I totally agree with you, if I don't get in this first round then I'll be reapplying later this year. I want to go to Duke so badly!
- 0May 8, '11 by hmguncYes--I'm from, and currently live in North Carolina. I live in Raleigh right now and I really like it so I'd rather not move (or at least I don't want to move anywhere outside of NC). My dad is from Portland and we've been up there a fair amount--I definitely like Oregon a lot too! I'm hoping to stay here for school and work at a hospital around here as well. You'll have to keep me posted on how your application process goes--maybe I will see you at Duke some time!
- 0May 8, '11 by oaktown2Hi all - I am also applying for Spring 2012. I had actually applied for Fall, but one of my references never made it on time (my instructor had a death in the family, so I can't really blame him), but I was still pretty bummed! But there was some pretty tough competition for Fall, so hopefully it won't be quite as bad for Spring!
hmgunc - my understanding is that they don't really pay any attention to whether or not you have taken Lifespan or Nutrition. They aren't prereqs and so no one has a leg up in the admissions process if they have them. So I would just apply for spring.