Male Nursing Student Interested in NICU Nursing - Page 2Register Today!
- Mar 22, '12 by NNICUWe have several male RNs in our NICU who came into our unit as new grads. I think one time a dad requested to have a female RN because he was uncomfortable with a male RN for breastfeeding lol. Majority of the parents have no issues though.
- Mar 22, '12 by EricJRNAnother dude glad to have chosen the NICU. My experience has taught me that if you have good work ethic, if you communicate well, and if you're a little bit OCD, NICU nurses will respect you.
If you come in and do the work without calling any special attention to your gender, I think you'll find that there's no awkwardness to being a guy in most units.
Good luck to you!
- Mar 27, '12 by TiffyRN[QUOTE=EricJRN;6279402]
if you communicate well, and if you're a little bit OCD, NICU nurses will respect youQUOTE]
Yes, I believe one of those areas of nursing where a teeny psych disorder will benefit you well.
- Mar 28, '12 by Bortaz, RNThis guy was so interested he never returned after making his thread two weeks ago.
- Apr 5, '12 by WanahakalugiI am about to start my last year of Nursing School and know that the NICU is where I want to work as well. I am located in Roanoke Virginia at the CRMH (3rd Largest NICU in VA with 60 beds; not sure why that matters....) and my Son spent some time up there in February with Premature Lung Disease. That was when I knew I wanted to work there. I became close with the staff and found out that they crave male nurses. They have had 2 there in the past couple of years and currently have none at all.
I have heard the "stigma" that is put on Male nurses and honestly, I am secure at 24 with a wife and 3 kids that it doesn't bother me. Granteed I have not graduated or passed the NCLEX-RN yet, but the stigma is still there as a male nursing student as well. There are 7 other men in my current class of 60ish and we all know what it will bring.
As a dad myself, I found it comforting that the male nurse that was working there was able to care for our kiddo. Not that he was more compitent or anything, just that he could relate to my mind set. I don't know, digging a hole with the ladies out there, but I think that the stigma is over rated and you shouldn't have any issue with the possition.
- Apr 13, '12 by Austin1990You are most certainly not alone! I am graduating from nursing school in a couple weeks here with my BSN and I have an interview with a level III NICU as well. I am also in the middle of my practicum in a NICU setting as well. I absolutely love it! The women on the unit don't seem to have a problem with me at all. They actually enjoy having another guy on the unit. Neonatal nursing was my favorite part of OB rotation. Plus, I am a sucker for critical care. Combining the two just made sense for me!
Good luck man! And it's also great knowing you want to work on getting your RNC-NIC and NNP. That's something I plan on doing as well!
- Apr 13, '12 by Bortaz, RNThey'll appreciate you when they need the water bottle changed in the lounge.