I am also applying to nursing schools in NYC. I am most interested in all of the CUNY schools. I have a BS already for Design from a very competative program. I'm worried because in design most of the rigor was in our studio classes and our portfolios, and the grading system was very very tough, so I only have a 3.0 but beleive it or not I was one of the top graduates! And it was very a rigorous 5 year program.
I'm hearing soooo much about how important the grade points are but you would think there would be so many other factors considered as well?
I don't have many science pre-reqs from my BS so I am looking to take those this Fall, do you think I have a good chance of getting into one of the CUNY schools just for my pre-reqs, and then applying to go on to the clinical phase of the program? [as i know this is the very competative phase]
I'm just feeling so discouraged. Right now I don't care what kind of a program I can get into just as long as I can START the process this fall!
These are some specific questions.
1. Can you apply to more than 4 CUNY shools? I'm looking at Laguardia, BMCC, Kingsborough, medgar evers. The application only allows up to 4?
2. Do you think meeting with the nursing programs
would help your chances of getting in? I am meeting with Laguardia but not the others. Also, has anyone ever submitted an essay or recommendation letters when they ARE NOT asked to do so, such as with the CUNY application?
2. I'm also applying to Beth Israel, Mount St. Vincent's, and Pace. Do you have any other recommendations?
3. Would it be wise to go for my LPN degree first, and then try to get my RN, since it seems so hard to jump into the RN degrees?
4. does ANYONE get into these programs on their first try, who already have a BS degree? I have always been under the impression that if you already have a good BS than it's much easier to get into the programs? At least the first phase of the program?
I guess right now I am most concerned about just doing all of the pre-reqs at one of the CUNY schools and hopefully getting the highest GPA possible so I can get into the nursing program. Do you think I have a good chance of getting into CUNY for the pre-reqs?
Please any advice or personal stories would help me so much right now!