NCLEX & State Licensure

  1. I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I couldn't find a specific thread that answered my questions exactly.

    I live and attend a PN program in Maryland. After graduation, I will be moving to Colorado immediately. I know I can take the NCLEX in CO. But in order for my results to be sent to the CO BON, do I have to have my driver's license and all that jazz already switched? I ask because, at the time I take my NCLEX, I will be staying with family and friends in Colorado until I am licensed, and can get a job. So basically, I won't have a permanent residence in Colorado at the time I take my boards, but I need to be licensed in Colorado. Is this going to be possible?

    Any clarification, tips, or suggestions are appreciated
  2. Visit jaimiend92 profile page

    About jaimiend92

    Joined: Mar '13; Posts: 1


  3. by   Double-Helix
    You don't have to live in Colorado or have a Colorado license in order to apply for licensure. You also don't have to take the NCLEX in Colorado. You simply fill out the Colorado application form with your current information and make sure all of your paperwork gets sent to the Colorado BON. The CO BON will review your application and send your eligibility to Pearson VUE. You will need to register with Pearson VUE and they will email you your ATT when the BON approves your application. You can take the NCLEX at any Pearson VUE facility in any state. Once you're licensed and have a permanent residence you can update your primary address with the BON.

    You can live in Florida, apply for licensure in Texas and take the NCLEX in Washington. Many nurses have a primary state of residence and hold multiple licenses in other states (such as travel nurses who work all over the country).

    Hope this helps!